Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Review: Yesterday's Tides by Roseanna M. White

About the Book
In two world wars, intelligence and counterintelligence, prejudice, and self-sacrifice collide across two generations

In 1942, Evie Farrow is used to life on Ocracoke Island, where every day is the same--until the German U-boats haunting their waters begin to wreak havoc. And when special agent Sterling Bertrand is washed ashore at Evie's inn, her life is turned upside down. While Sterling's injuries keep him inn-bound for weeks, making him even more anxious about the SS officer he's tracking, he becomes increasingly intrigued by Evie, who seems to be hiding secrets of her own.

Decades earlier, in 1914, Englishman Remington Culbreth arrives at the Ocracoke Inn for the summer, never expecting to fall in love with Louisa Adair, the innkeeper's daughter. But when war breaks out in Europe, their relationship is put in jeopardy and may not survive what lies ahead for them.

As the ripples from the Great War rock Evie and Sterling's lives in World War II, it seems yesterday's tides may sweep them all into danger again today.


MY THOUGHTS

Wow, where do I even begin? What a masterful story. I was instantly pulled in, captivated, and completely engaged in it. It's the kind of book where the real world fades away and the words on the page come to full-color, vivid life.

This is a dual-timeline story, but a little different from the norm since both timelines are historical, taking place during WWI and WWII. I will say that in the beginning I was more drawn to the WWII timeline, but it wasn't long before the other one grabbed me and I found myself enjoying it just as much, maybe even more. Both timelines were chock full of wonderful, authentic, and three-dimensional characters. And while it was a little hard for me to keep them all straight at first, it didn't take long before I had them all figured out.

This book started great, but, somehow, just kept getting better and better. I loved it so much and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical romance.

I received an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I have not read a dual timeline where they are both historical! Excellent review, Ashley!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of that Ocracoke Island setting! And what a great cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read quite a few books set there and each one makes me want to visit it more and more. It seems like such a beautiful place. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Right? I expected it to be really good, but it surpassed all my expectations. :D

      Delete
  4. I like White's books a lot, and will keep my eyes open for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! And there's some cameos from characters from some of her other books in this one too. So cool! :)

      Delete