Thursday, January 5, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Roast Date (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery #7) by Heather Day Gilbert

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Roast Date (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery #7) by Heather Day Gilbert. This was another fantastic addition to the series. If you're a fan of cozy mysteries, this series is a must read!

About the Book
Welcome to the Barks & Beans Cafe, a quaint place where folks pet shelter dogs while enjoying a cup of java...and where murder sometimes pays a visit.

After much cajoling, Macy gives in to her neighbor, Vera, and agrees to come to her book club's Christmas party so she can share about the cafe. While public speaking isn't Macy's thing, she wants to brighten Vera's lonely holiday season...and she can sell a little house blend on the side.

When a lively book discussion spirals into a public roast of the mayor—who happens to be sitting in their midst—things get uncomfortable. Soon afterward, the mayor shows up dead in Vera's bathroom, and no amount of gingerbread cookies or eggnog can restore Vera to the club's good graces. 'Tis the season for Macy to find the murderer, or else Vera might be taking a long winter's nap in a jail cell.

Join siblings Macy and Bo Hatfield as they sniff out crimes in their hometown...with plenty of dogs along for the ride! The Barks & Beans Cafe cozy mystery series features a small town, an amateur sleuth, and no swearing or graphic scenes.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Elvis crooned "Here Comes Santa Claus" over our cafe speakers as I draped thick pine garland along an oversized front-facing window. My barista Bristol sang along, centering a lit wreath in the one I'd just decorated.

Friday 56
I glanced at Coal, who was sitting with his front paws demurely crossed on my foldout back seat. He gave me a superior look, as if I were his minion and he'd had nothing to do with our tardiness.

What have you been reading lately?

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's not dark, just a really good cozy mystery. Happy weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  2. I've got the first in the series sitting on my Kindle. These books make it sound like a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like them. They're a lot of fun. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. There's something clever in the text of a good cozy that is such an unexpected element in a mystery. I vote to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first line comes from the first chapter of The Mark if Zgrace by KimberleyWoodhouse:
    Monday, May 3, 1909 El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon
    Spoons clattered against pots. Steam sputtered out from under lids. The scent of fresh-baked bread and brewing coffee filled the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Paula! Sounds good! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  5. You had me with Elvis being in the first line!! ;-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday!
    I am finishing up The Rose and the Thistle by Laura Frantz, so I will share a line from there.
    "Davie is in the tower."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Laura Frantz's books! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  7. I need to write out an actual list of the authors I am wanting to read this year because she is one of them. I keep saying it but if I don't get them written down I won't get to all of them! Have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do that too. I tend to rely on my Goodreads lists, but I seem to have better luck at remembering what to read next (or soon) when I physically write it down. Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. well, this looks pretty darn cute - and the Bark & Bean?? clever name. Sounds like you're going to love it.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/friday-memes-8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! And I agree, such a clever name. Happy weekend, Terrie! :)

      Delete
  9. I love a good cozy! This one is new to me, but it sounds like one I'd enjoy. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it. Can't go wrong with shelter dogs, coffee, and mysteries. Have a great weekend, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  10. This looks like a fun series. I'm currently reading The sisters of Sea View by Julie Klassen. The first line is: "April 1819. Sarah Summers carefully lifted the family heirloom, a warm mantle of nostalgia settling over her." Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete