Thursday, January 26, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Calor (The Nightingale Trilogy #1) by J.J. Fischer

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring  Calor (The Nightingale Trilogy #1) by J.J. Fischer. This is a really spectacular read. I'm loving it!

About the Book
What if you could edit memories with a single touch?

The world-that-was is gone, lost to everything except living memory . . . but remembering comes at a terrible price. Sixty-two years after the apocalypse, a new society has emerged from the ashes of the old world where highly valued memories are traded and nostalgia is worth dying—and even killing—for.

Enslaved by a cruel master, Sephone Winter is forced to use her rare ability to manipulate memories to numb the darkest secrets of the ruling aristocracy.

Then Lord Adamo appears, speaking of a powerful relic capable of permanently erasing memories and recovering Sephone’s own lost childhood. But not everything about the young lord is as it seems, and soon Sephone must choose between helping Lord Adamo forget his past or journeying deep into the land of Lethe, where the truth about who she really is might finally be revealed . . . and a long desired future restored.

The Nightingale Trilogy is a fantasy transformation of Hans Christian Andersen's beloved 1843 tale The Nightingale, with echoes of the myths of Hades and Persephone.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
His father might be in the middle of saving the world, but Dorian was still bored. Nulla was about as close to the apocalypse as a place could get, and that was saying something, because the world had already ended once. It was certainly no place for a fourteen-year-old boy to spend the best days of the summer.

Friday 56
The journey that should have lasted no longer than a week now threatened to stretch into two.

What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. Interesting and unique premise. I would read on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fascinating first paragraph. I especially like this line: "Nulla was about as close to the apocalypse as a place could get, and that was saying something, because the world had already ended once."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that line too. It really made me curious about the world and how it had already ended once. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a page turner!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a favorite author, my first line comes from Roseanna White’s latest:
    Yesterday’s Tides
    May 11, 1942 Ocracoke Island, North Carolina
    The first light of sunrise turned the water of Pamlico Sound to gold, the clouds to rose, and the dark to morning, promising Evie Farrow that today would be just like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved this book! Hope you're enjoying it too! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading "I'm Not Charlotte Lucas" by Kasey Stockton. It's super cute!
    "I let myself into Vera's room, and my heart constricted."
    I hope you have a good weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep seeing this book lately. It sounds so good! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm currently reading Heroes in the Crossfire novella collection and the novella "Dawn's Hidden Threat" by Elizabeth Goddard. The first line is: Angie Greenwood stared into the killer's eyes." Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed that collection. Hope you are too! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I have this on my TBR from when you mentioned it before. Now I really want to read it!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/friday-memes-10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surpassed all my expectations. I loved it. I just wish the next one was already out, or coming soon, because it does leave off on a bit of a cliffhanger. It was so good, though. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! The sequel can't come out soon enough! :D Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Intriguing premise! And I love that cover. But I might wait to start this one until the sequel comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately, I've been trying to wait until a whole series is out before starting it, but some books are just too enticing for me to resist. Like this one, lol! Hope you have a great week, Lark! :)

      Delete
  10. This isn’t a genre I usually read, but this sounds like a fascinating premise! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete