Thursday, January 12, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Between Friends: A City Between Compilation (The City Between #11) by W.R. Gingell

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Between Friends: A City Between Compilation (The City Between #11) by W.R. Gingell. A spinoff series is coming out very soon, so it was really great visiting this world and these characters again in this short story collection. If you're a fan of clean urban fantasy, definitely check out this series.

About the Book
What happened to the tie frog? What is the best way of disposing of vampiric watermelon? Exactly how do you get rid of goblins in the spare room?

Friends and foes, Between and Behind—all the little pieces and curiosities that make up Pet’s new world—are here to be seen and delighted in, and put on the shelf beside books 1-10.

Featuring Cloudy with a Chance of Dropbears, All the Different Shades of Blue, and every other Short Thing formerly found on the WR(ite) Blog, along with previously unpublished novelettes and three new, never-before-seen short stories, this compilation completes the main City Between series.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday (From the first short story - Training the Pet)
The house was a mess. There was, in general, some mess to it; this time however, the mess had all the distinct hallmarks of the Pet's influence. 

Friday 56 (From the eighth story of the collection - Ties That Bind)
When Athelas went to fetch the paper that morning, there was a tie croaking at him from the welcome mat.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. That house sounded like my place, but I don't have the excuse of having pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Same, though I have two dogs, so maybe I can blame them, lol. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Gingell writes some entertaining books! I'm not familiar with these, but I've read others. Have you read any of the Two Monarchies books?

    Happy Friday and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Spindle, but haven't gotten around to the rest of the series yet. I LOVED it though. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. A collection of short stories can often be good!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, especially when they're from a beloved series. Happy weekend, Freda! :)

      Delete
  4. My first line is from Within These Walls of Sorrow by Amanda Barratt
    Prelude. Zosia Krakow, Poland
    The sun shone the day I married Ryszard Lewandowski.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Paula! I really want to read this one. Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward to reading this series! I hope you have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool cover! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Hope you have a great one, as well! :)

      Delete
  7. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading What Happens Next by Christina Suzann Nelson. It's a great story!
    "Dora placed the flyer in a box and covered it with the lid. She looked around the house, so empty now that Paul had moved from their spare bedroom to an apartment downtown."
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued! Thanks for sharing, Nicole! Hope you have a great one, too! :)

      Delete
  8. That’s not my usual genre, but sounds like a fun read! Have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! Have a great rest of the weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Interesting! I'm currently reading Alaskan Mountain Search by Sarah Varland. The first line is: "It was never truly dark at this time of year--mid June--in the land of the midnight sun." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Danielle! Have a great week! :)

      Delete