Thursday, January 19, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians Book #1) by Dani Pettrey

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians Book #1) by Dani Pettrey

About the Book
When one Coast Guard officer is found dead and another goes missing, Coast Guard Investigative Service special agent Finn Walker faces his most dangerous crime yet. His only clues are what little evidence remains aboard the dead officer's boat, and the direction the clues point to will test Finn and the Guard to their limits.

When investigative reporter--and Finn's boss's sister--Gabby Rowley arrives, her unrelenting questions complicate an already volatile situation. Now that she's back, the tug on Finn's heart is strong, but with the risks she's taking for her next big story, he fears she might not live through it.

Thrown together by the heinous crime, Finn and Gabby can't ignore the sparks or judgments flying between them. But will they be able to see past their preconceptions long enough to track down an elusive killer, or will they become his next mark?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Fire ripped through Finn's right shoulder, ricocheting down his arm. Battling the eight-foot swells, he struggled to get his charge to the swaying basket and up into the Coast Guard helicopter.

Friday 56
He listened while she relayed the day's events to his horror. He rubbed his brow, praying for wisdom and restraint. "Seriously, Gabs? You're lucky Finn came when he did."
"I had it. I knocked the guy out."

What have you been reading lately?

22 comments:

  1. LOVED this one, still not read the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's really good! I'm hoping to read the rest of the series soon. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I’m a fan of Dani Pettrey!

    My first line comes from Hearts of Steel by Elizabeth Camden:
    Prologue
    New York City, 1890 Lower East Side of Manhattan
    Maggie Molinaro was five blocks from the safety of her uncle’s garage when she noticed the gang of boys following her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Hearts of Steel. Liam's story did not disappoint. Hope you're enjoying it! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds intense right from the start! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! The action hardly ever lets up. Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to read some of Dani Pettrey's books for awhile now. This one does sound good! I need to try and move her up my list. Have a good weekend, Ashley! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's really good. There's a lot of characters and a lot going on, so it took me just a little bit to keep everything straight, but once I did, I couldn't read it fast enough. I'm excited for the rest of the series. Hope you have a good weekend, too, Lark! :)

      Delete
  5. Great start - right off with the action! I have a Pettrey on my TBR but haven't read any of the Coastal Guardians - this cover looks familiar which is why I checked my list but the one I have on the wish list is Submerged. Happy Reading.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/friday-memes-9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Submerged was the first book of hers I read and I really enjoyed it. That whole series was great. Hope you have a great weekend, Terrie! :)

      Delete
  6. I loved this one, hope you do as well! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I really enjoyed it and am excited to read the rest of the series, hopefully, soon. Hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this book. Hope you're enjoying it too!

    Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Billionaire's Nanny by Elizabeth Maddrey. It's a good story.
    "'You're back!' Megan darted out from behind the cash register as soon as I stepped through the bookstore door, and pulled me into a tight hug."
    I hope you have a good weekend. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read more Elizabeth Maddrey books. This one sounds so good! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a good weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. Your post reminded me I need to catch up on this series! I don’t think I’ve read the most recent book yet. Thanks for sharing! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a review book or two I need to read, but then I'm hoping to read the next book in this series. I'm loving these characters. Hope you have a great week, Jen! :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Right! It's definitely eye-catching! Have a great week, Lauren! :)

      Delete
  10. This was a fascinating read! I'm currently reading The Weight of Air by Kimberly Duffy. The first line is: "You are sure you don't want me to go with you to the station?" Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to this book. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete