Thursday, April 18, 2019

Review: Finding Ever After: four fairytale-ish novellas

About the Book
Experience a touch of magic with these four fairytale-ish novellas that span over one hundred years. Linked by an illustrated book of fairytales, each novella is an enchanting combination of a beloved classic sprinkled with the author’s own brand of fairy dust.

Stairs and Stardust is set in 1913 Asheville, NC at the beautiful Biltmore Estate and includes a budding children’s book illustrator, an out-of-the box heir, and a teensy bit of Cinderella romance.

Entanglements has a Rapunzel twist and is set in 1920’s Boston between a reluctant heiress, a charming piano tuner, and a game of chess.

Twice Upon A Time is a Beauty-And-The-Beast inspired tale that brings a romance novelist back home to her family's pecan farm... and the ex-fiance she left behind.

Once Bitten is a nod to Snow White that includes a fake date with a handsome woodsman, seven geeks, and the world's best apple tarts.


My Thoughts

Finding Ever after was an enchanting collection of fairy tale inspired novellas written by four different authors with settings in the past and present.

Between Stairs and Stardust by Pepper Basham 4 Stars
This was another charming romance from Pepper Basham. The characters were great. The way James and Stella met was unforgettable. I think my favorite part of this novella was Stella telling the story of Cinderella to Alice. Alice's excitement over the tale was so much fun and brought back feelings of my own wonderment when I first heard the fairy tale. I loved “visiting” the Biltmore Estate. It was such an enchanting setting.

Entanglements by Rachel McMillan 4 Stars
This story was so wonderful and a lovely twist on Rapunzel. Esther and Nick were likeable and so perfect for each other. And I absolutely loved the “fairy godmothers”. They were such a joy! I'm not a chess player, but the way the game came into play at the end was brilliant. Loved it!

Twice Upon a Time by Ashley Clarke 3 Stars
Twice Upon a Time is a contemporary Beauty and the Beast retelling set on a pecan farm in Alabama. Although it didn't follow the original story too closely, the nods to the fairytale were clever and made me smile. I had a hard time liking either one of the main characters. Emma's attitude and Sawyer's deception really grated on my nerves. But I really enjoyed the southern setting and adored The Wistful Teacup, a library turned tea shop. It'd be a fun place to visit!

Once Bitten by Betsy St. Amant 4.5 Stars
Once Bitten was such a cute story and a nice take on Snow White. It was a breath of fresh air that put a big smile on my face. I love a good “fake boyfriend” story and this one was done really well. Maggie and Griff were so great and felt like real people. I liked that there wasn't an insta-love connection. It felt real, not forced. Just right. I can't forget to mention the seven dwarfs, or rather, the seven geeks. They were awesome and hilarious!

Four Stars

4 comments:

  1. Haven't read this collection, but someday I'd like too. It sounds fun, plus I'm always in for a new fairy tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Fairy tale retellings are my favorites! Thanks for visiting, Rissi! :)

      Delete
  2. These all sound totally great! Rapunzel with a chess game? Snow White with a fake boyfriend? I'm in! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each story was a great, fresh take on the classic tales. The nods to the originals were really clever, too. Thanks for coming by, Lark! :)

      Delete