Thursday, April 11, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: In Too Deep (Dive Team Investigations #2) by Lynn H. Blackburn

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm sharing In Too Deep by Lynn H. Blackburn. It's the sequel to Beneath the Surface which I featured last week. I've really been enjoying this series. My only complaint is that book three doesn't come out until September.

About the Book
When the dive team is called in to recover a body from a submerged car, they aren't prepared to find an encrypted laptop--or an unsettling connection between investigator Adam Campbell and the dead accountant.

Adam turns to his friend Dr. Sabrina Fleming--a professor at the local university with unparalleled computer security and forensics skills--to recover the files from the laptop. But the deeper they dig, the deadlier the investigation becomes. When evidence uncovers a human trafficking ring and implicates members of Adam's own family, he and Sabrina will have to risk everything to solve the case.

The truth could set hundreds free--but someone is willing to do whatever it takes to silence anyone who threatens to reveal their secrets. Award-winning author Lynn H. Blackburn invites readers back to Carrington, North Carolina, where everything is not as it seems and sinister elements lurk behind the idyllic façade.
 

Book Beginning
The shrill ping of his cell phone earned white-collar crimes investigator Adam Campbell a vicious glare from his aunt Margaret. His cousins all dropped their gazes to their plates, several of them failing to suppress snickers, as Adam stood. He glanced around the table at the assembled family members before focusing on the matriarch of the family. "Excuse me, Grandmother. Everyone. I'm on call." 
Grandmother sniffed. "Very well."

Friday 56
Wednesday morning was not off to a fabulous start.

What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that the Page 56 quote is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Too Deep looks kind of interesting. Enjoy your current read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed it. Thanks for the visit, Breana! :)

      Delete
  3. oh yes!!! I've featured this author on my blog, great choice, Ashley :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I've found a new 'must-buy' author in Blackburn. I'm loving these books. Thanks for stopping by, Sassy! :)

      Delete
  4. It is such a great beginning! I like those type of scenes around big table with pressure rising and heated arguments. The tradition to sit down with a family, that are forced a bit, but still give a feeling of belonging))

    Here is my post

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. It always creates such intriguing drama. Thanks for visiting, Julie! :)

      Delete
  5. I think I need more. The 56 was too ominous, and the beginning had me wondering why the family was so stuffy... Hope you enjoy it. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great. It's intense and suspenseful, but also has many funny moments that lighten the mood. Thanks for coming by, Freda! :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds like an interesting and exciting story. This week I am featuring The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that's hard to put down. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy! :)

      Delete
  7. That beginning is classic family dynamics. I want to find out where he has to go. I remember liking the sound of last week's and this one sounds really good, too. I may have to wait until September to start them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should've waited until September so I could've read them all together, but my mom kept raving about the first book and so I had to see what all the fuss was about, lol. Thanks for the visit, Roberta! :)

      Delete
  8. Glad you're enjoying the series. At least September isn't too far off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. It's not too far away. Thanks for coming by, Nicki! :)

      Delete
  9. Ooh, this could be cool. Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete