Thursday, April 11, 2019

Review: Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations #1) by Lynn H. Blackburn

About the Book
After a harrowing experience with an obsessed patient, oncology nurse practitioner Leigh Weston needed a change. She thought she'd left her troubles behind when she moved home to Carrington, North Carolina, and took a job in the emergency department of the local hospital. But when someone tampers with her brakes, she fears the past has chased her into the present. She reaches out to her high school friend turned homicide investigator, Ryan Parker, for help.

Ryan finds satisfaction in his career, but his favorite way to use his skills is as a volunteer underwater investigator with the Carrington County Sheriff's Office dive team. When the body of a wealthy businessman is discovered in Lake Porter, the investigation uncovers a possible serial killer--one with a terrifying connection to Leigh Weston and deadly implications for them all.

Dive into the depths of fear with an exciting new voice in romantic suspense. Award-winning author Lynn H. Blackburn grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go until the final heart-pounding page.


My Thoughts

What an exciting and intense thrill ride! I've read quite a few suspenseful books lately, and I've gotta say, Beneath the Surface is one of the most compelling, fast paced ones in recent memory. I had an insanely difficult time pulling myself away from it to tend to 'real life' things.

The whole cast of characters were great. Leigh was immensely likeable. She's so kind, is always looking out for others and helping them when she's able. She's been through a lot, but she's a fighter. Ryan's a born protector. He's just an all-around, genuinely good guy. I do have to say that it wasn't just Ryan and Leigh, the main characters, I became invested in. All of the supporting characters were authentic and 'real'. I'm eager to spend more time with everyone in subsequent books.

I really can't say enough good things about Beneath the Surface. It held my complete attention. I was constantly thinking about it, wondering what was gonna happen next, trying to figure out who the baddie was and what their motivation was. It was so good. I've found a new author to add to my must-buy list. I'm ready to dive into book two!

Five Stars

3 comments:

  1. Is book two about these same characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan and Leigh are in book two, but they're not the main focus. Sabrina and Adam take center stage. And then, I believe, book three will be Gabe and Anissa's story.

      I love when a series is about a group of friends and each book focuses on a different one of them. It's nice going into a book feeling like I already know the characters.

      Delete