Thursday, July 11, 2019

Review: The Beast of Talesend: After Beauty and the Beast (Beaumont and Beasley Book 1) by Kyle Robert Shultz

About the Book
Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme…

...Disney got it wrong.

My name is Nick Beasley. I’m the one they call when things go bump in the night...because I can always prove that there’s actually nothing to worry about. After all, magic and monsters aren’t real.

At least, that’s what I’ve been telling people for a long time. But now that I’ve been magically transformed into a big hairy monster, I’m not sure they’re going to believe me.

And no, a kiss won’t help. The only person who may be able to fix me is the enchantress who did this to me in the first place.

She says it was an accident, but I’m not sure I can trust her. Why would the Beast Curse randomly crop up again after hundreds of years?

And if it wasn’t an accident, what might the person responsible do next?

I have to protect the city of Talesend from the monsters in the shadows...even if one of the monsters is me.

Disney meets Dresden (with a pinch of Discworld) in this 1920’s urban fantasy. Don’t miss out on the series fans are raving about.

Available in Kindle Unlimited

My Thoughts

The Beast of Talesend was an all-around good time. It's such a fresh and clever twist on the classic fairy tale.

Taking place almost two thousand years after “ever after”, most people have stopped believing in magic. They don't believe that the fairy tales ever actually happened. Foremost of them all is private investigator Nick Beasley who's famous for debunking anything that could be remotely construed as magic. He doesn't believe in all that nonsense... well... that is until he's turned into a beast himself. What follows is a witty and wild adventure that I didn't want to end.

With a cast full of charmingly quirky characters, spectacular world building, and many laugh out loud moments, The Beast of Talesend is a must read for anyone who enjoys fairy tale retellings. I highly recommend it!


My favorite quote:
It took me a surprisingly long time the following morning to figure out that I’d turned into a monster. In my defense, I’m generally not sure what my own name is when I first wake up in the morning, let alone what species I am.

4.5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. What a great quote. It totally made me laugh. And if the rest of the book is like that, I'm totally in! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book had me laughing the whole way through! It's so much fun! :D

      Delete