Thursday, December 1, 2022

Review: Courting Misfortune (The Joplin Chronicles #1) by Regina Jennings

About the Book
Calista York needs one more successful case as a Pinkerton operative to secure her job. When she's assigned to find the kidnapped daughter of a mob boss, she's sent to the rowdy mining town of Joplin, Missouri, despite having extended family in the area. Will their meddling expose her mission and keep Lila Seaton from being recovered?

When Matthew Cook decided to be a missionary, he never expected to be sent only a short train ride away. While fighting against corruption of all sorts, Matthew hears of a baby raffle being held to raise funds for a children's home. He'll do what he can to stop it, but he also wants to stop the reckless Miss York, whose bad judgment consistently seems to be putting her in harm's way.

Calista doesn't need the handsome pastor interfering with her investigation, and she can't let her disguise slip. Her job and the life of a young lady depend on keeping Matthew in the dark.


MY THOUGHTS

This was so much fun! I can't believe this is my first full-length story by Regina Jennings. My mom's been telling me for years how great her books are, and I'm so glad I finally read this one. It was everything I needed at the time.

I liked Calista instantly. She had a lot of spunk. She was a little naive at times, but I loved how persistent she was. Her family was awesome. My favorite part of the story was seeing all of them interact. They were a hoot, especially Granny Laura!

It took me just a little while to warm up to Matthew. I wanted to like him. He had really good intentions, but his holier-than-thou, judgmental attitude was off-putting in the beginning. Though, I really appreciated the fact that he recognized his shortcomings and was actively working on them. Loved the character growth he showed.

This was a great historical romance that I highly recommend. I'm excited to spend more time with the Kentworth family in the next book.

FOUR STARS

2 comments:

  1. This does sound like a fun one. I like Regina Jennings, too, but haven't read any in this series yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first full-length one of hers that I've read. I didn't realize until after I finished this that the novella I'd read by her was part of this series, lol. :D

      Delete