Thursday, December 29, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Aberration (Children of the Consortium #2) by Cathy McCrumb

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Aberration (Children of the Consortium #2) by Cathy McCrumb. I don't reread books often, but in anticipation of this one, I read Recorder, book one, again, and loved it even more the second go-around. And this sequel lived up to its predecessor big time! If you're a fan of the scifi genre, I HIGHLY recommend this series. 

About the Book
Freedom Awaits, but the Consortium is Watching

When rogue drones threaten citizens and the ship’s crew falls ill, the Recorder answers their call for help, once again drawing scrutiny from the Consortium.

With no other option and under an Elder’s overbearing watch, she returns to Pallas Station where she nearly lost her life in the hope of finding something—anything—to save her friends and countless others. Her friends are determined to keep her safe, but for the Recorder, saving others comes first, no matter the cost.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Solitude and its companion, apprehension, wrapped around me like a drone's tendrils. Air whispered through the vent over the holding-cell door, and quiet pressed through the walls to roar in my ears. Overhead, the red emergency light throbbed like the ship's visible heartbeat, and my imagination provided its sound - the faintest, gentlest click. I concentrated and uncurled my toes, pressing bare feet into the ribbed antistatic flooring, and the barely perceptible rumble of the engines tickled my soles.

Friday 56
Ten minutes after Cam's demands ceased, the drone left, closing the door behind it, but the camera's eye watched my every move.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Both of these quotes are good and definitely made me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That makes me happy. It's such a good read. Happy New Year! :)

      Delete
  2. I will have to look into this series. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good sci-fi read! This series sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be my favorite sci-fi series. It's so good! Happy new Year! :)

      Delete
  4. Here is the first line for this week!
    The Rose and The Thistle by Laura Frantz. Another fantastic book!
    April 1715 France
    Struck by sunlight, the sprawling chateau was a blinding, rose-hued white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love her books! Thanks for sharing, Paula! Happy New Year! :)

      Delete
  5. That opening line is so great! This sounds like an intense but fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Intense is a great way to describe it. It's so, so good! Happy New Year! :)

      Delete
  6. I will have to add the first book to my wish list. This one sounds really good too! I hope you enjoy it as much as you did the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It lived up to my expectations big time! Soo good! Happy New Year! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great read to me!! Wishing you the best for 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds exciting! Perfect for this slow holiday week. Have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gillion! Hope you have a happy one as well! :)

      Delete
  9. Love the cover! I hope you enjoy it, Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I loved it! Happy New Year! :)

      Delete