Thursday, December 22, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: A Holly Jilly Christmas by Emma St. Clair

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring A Holly Jilly Christmas by Emma St. Clair. This was the perfect, short holiday read. It had me laughing pretty much from beginning to end!

About the Book (From Amazon)
My life is nothing like the movies we make at the studio where I work--especially not when it comes to relationships.

Which means that there will be absolutely NO romance between me and Case, the grumpy exec I've had a crush on from our very first not-so-meet-cute.

We're simply two coworkers scouting the town of Sheet Cake, Texas as a location for filming.

That's it.

Though, to be honest, I'm suspicious of why Case came on this trip at all.

Whatever the reason, there will be no Christmas magic, and definitely NO mistletoe kisses.

But when Case actually starts talking to me--gasp!--and reveals the humor and kindness buried beneath his gruff persona, my little crush explodes into something a lot harder to hide.

Except he's harboring secrets of his own.

And I'm starting to wonder if his cagey behavior is because he's planning to take credit for my (admittedly brilliant) idea to make this town our central filming hub.

He's not that kind of man ... right?

All I wanted for Christmas was a promotion, and now I'm falling for the man who might be trying to steal it.

A Holly Jilly Christmas is a grumpy sunshine Christmas novella set in the world of Sheet Cake, Texas. You'll get all the chemistry and laughs in this closed door romance.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
If my life were anything like the romantic holiday movies made by the studio I work for, this mini road trip would look a whole heck of a lot different.

Friday 56
I actually love dancing. But I also happen to have about ten left feet that appear when I hit the floor. Going dancing requires me to make a conscious choice between my urge to boogie and my hope to preserve my dignity.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. This does sound like fun, and the perfect time of the year to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect read for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first line comes from the WWI book by Kate Breslin: In Love’s Time
    Whitehall, London 1918
    Would the human destruction never end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for this one. Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas! :)

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate to the 56. I'm constantly holding myself back from breaking out in dance when I'm in public. :-) Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I don't think anyone would want to see me dance. What a nightmare, lol. :D Merry Christmas, Freda! :)

      Delete
  5. Is there really a town called Sheet Cake? Ha! Imagine putting that as your return address.

    Have a very Merry Christmas!

    Quotes from my book this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a fictional town, but how funny would that be? LOL! Merry Christmas, Anne! :)

      Delete
  6. Another one I really want to read! Emma St. Clair writes some very fun books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does! She's quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Merry Christmas, Lark! :)

      Delete
  7. I LOVED this one!! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delightful - perfect for Christmas reading. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!

    Come see my first line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, too! :)

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a fun book! I'm reading Gift of the Heart by Karen Witemeyer. The first line is: "October 1890, Hope Springs Texas ~ Ruth Fulbright held her sleeping seven-year-old daughter snugly on her lap in the middle of the stagecoach seat while the passengers who considered themselves her betters exited the conveyance." Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete