Thursday, June 9, 2022

Review: Madness in Wonderland by Tabitha Bouldin

About the Book
Wonderland is in trouble.

Under the rule of the Red Queen, Wonderland is under constant threat. In fear for her throne, children are taken into the queen’s army and only the strongest survive.

Alice is nothing but a pirate, but with the help of Hatter, they hatch a plan to sneak into the Red Queen’s palace to free Hatter’s sister. After all, Alice has always wanted to fly an airship.

Dr. Frank N. Stein has created an army of automatons to serve their queen. Of particular note: a prototype soldier. Part man. Part machine. The best of both worlds.

Doc’s monster is a threat to everything they know, but Alice sees something in the man that begs she look beyond what he’s done and search out the heart of the beast for the better of the realm.

He’s their only hope of survival, but how can a monster learn to love when all he’s known is hate?

(Available in Kindle Unlimited at time of posting)

MY THOUGHTS

This was my kind of book! A steampunk Alice in Wonderland retelling with a Frankenstein twist? Yes, please! I was drawn right into this story and was completely captivated.

I really enjoyed the three different POVs following Alice, Hatter, and Alpha. Although I do have to say Alpha's was probably my favorite. He was such an intriguing character. I liked Alice too. She was a great heroine. Brave, fierce, steadfast, and loyal. She was easy to root for. I wanted to love Hatter, but I never fully warmed up to him. He was an interesting guy, but a bit too impulsive and stubborn for my liking.

I LOVED Chess. He had such a strong faith, and I liked the way that he shared it with others. It just felt so natural. He was a little rough around the edges, but there was definitely more to him than first met the eye. I wish he'd been featured a little more prominently, but I enjoyed every second he showed up on the page.

This action-packed retelling is sure to appeal to fans of Morgan L. Busse and Sara Ella. I'm hoping for many more books in this series because I'd love to visit this world again and again.

FOUR STARS

4 comments:

  1. It is such a different vibe. I have never read a steampunk book and not entirely sure if I would like it or not. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed steampunk when I first tried it. It's become one of my favorite genres now. :)

      Delete
  2. I so can't wait to read this one! I've asked my library to buy a copy, so fingers crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! I hope you enjoy it if they do get it! :D

      Delete