Thursday, June 23, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Cold Drip (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery #6) by Heather Day Gilbert

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Cold Drip (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery #6) by Heather Day Gilbert.

This is my favorite of the series. I might be a little biased though. My dog Sadie, who passed away about 4 years ago, has a walk-on role in this story! It was beyond special to have her appear in the pages of this story. The author perfectly captured her personality, and I couldn't be happier to share her smart, sassy sweetness with others. I shared a post about Sadie a few years ago that you can check out here, if you'd like. 

About the Book
Welcome to the Barks & Beans Cafe, a quaint place where folks pet shelter dogs while enjoying a cup of java...and where murder sometimes pays a visit.

Thanksgiving is on the way, and Macy's thrilled when her boyfriend Titan says he's coming to town for a week-long visit. She plans to take him to some of her favorite haunts, including the sprawling caverns nearby.

But when the lights go out during their underground tour and a local society darling plunges to her death, Macy can't shake the feeling that the cave's slippery floors weren't entirely to blame. She taps into the admittedly limited skills of her upscale barista, Milo, to do a little snooping in the moneyed circles he moves in. When he unearths a sinkhole of lies, Macy slides straight toward a killer who's not about to stop until every leak is sealed...permanently.

Join siblings Macy and Bo Hatfield as they sniff out crimes in their hometown...with plenty of dogs along for the ride! The Barks & Beans Cafe cozy mystery series features a small town, an amateur sleuth, and no swearing or graphic scenes.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
I cradled my second cup of French press coffee, savoring our Barks & Beans Cafe house blend as I stood on my porch.

Friday 56
Although it was difficult to drag out of bed Friday, I was looking forward to spending time with the shelter dogs. It was like a grand adventure, meeting new dogs with differing personalities every time I worked.

What have you been reading lately?

22 comments:

  1. This series looks cute. https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2022/06/book-spotlight-fridays-elysium-tide.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! Thanks for stopping by, Sarita!

      Delete
  2. Whenever I hear Macy's and Thanksgiving in the same sentence, I think of the parade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even made that connection, lol! Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  3. I really need to read this series. I've got a couple (at least) on my Kindle app already. And how cool that your dog got to cameo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I was so excited! Thanks for visiting, Mark! :)

      Delete
  4. That is the coolest thing ever to have your dog featured in the story!! Congrats on that and the author capturing her so well! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Freda! I can't even explain how happy I was! So cool! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. How lovely and what an interesting sounding story.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/06/24/friday-56-quote-from-you-had-me-at-halloumi-by-ginger-jones/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Isn't it? It was the coolest thing "seeing" Sadie in the pages of this book. Thanks for visiting, Greg! :)

      Delete
  7. Happy Friday!
    I’m currently reading To Kiss a Wallflower. It’s an anthology of short stories. So far, I am loving it! I’ll share a line from the story I’m currently reading.
    “Lottie left the woods with a new sense of power.”
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, this book is on my wishlist. Glad to hear you're loving it so far! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. I can definitely relate to that 56 snippet! Friday mornings can be rough. So sweet that Sadie was able to be immortalized in the pages of a book. Thanks for sharing it!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get kinda emotional reading about Sadie. It makes me so happy to have this tribute for her. She was the best! And I'm so grateful to the author for including her. So cool! Thanks for stopping by, Sammie! :)

      Delete
  9. Such a sweet connection to your dog! Sounds like a fun series :) This week I posted the first line from Elysium Tide by James R. Hannibal.
    http://gracetogrowblog.com/elysium-tide-james-hannibal/

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing great things about Elysium Tide. It's on my wishlist. Thanks for coming by, Jen! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  10. I'd like to read this series sometime! It sounds so cute.

    I posted the first line from A Healer's Promise by Misty M Beller: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/06/24/a-healers-promise/

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably my favorite cozy mystery series right now. Love it! Thanks for stopping by, Danielle! Happy Monday! :)

      Delete
  11. My first line comes from Long Way Home by Lynn Austin. Just released.
    Hudson Valley, New York. June, 1946
    “I know it looks hopeless,” I told Jimmy Barnett’s father. “But we can’t give up until Jimmy is better. Until he’s home again.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great opening! I love that time period. Thanks for coming by, Paula! Hope you have a lovely week! :)

      Delete