Thursday, June 16, 2022

Review: Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind by Marissa Shrock

About the Book
Bobbi Sue Baxter longs for the summer of 1988 to be over so she can leave her boring hometown of Wildcat Springs behind forever. Start using her journalism degree on stories with some excitement. She has no idea more excitement than she’s ever wanted is about to come after her.

On her way home from a movie, Bobbi Sue stops to help an injured dog and spots what looks like an alien. A blinding light flashes, and when Bobbi Sue can see again, the creature is gone. Did she really see . . .? No! Impossible. She says nothing to anyone, especially not to her conspiracy-obsessed father.

But when Bobbi Sue slips and tells her friend, Hemingway “Hemi” Miller, he shows her a story from Close Encounters in the USA. It’s about a man who reported an experience nearly identical to hers. And when well-known townsman, Ross Garland is found shot dead close to where she saw the “alien,” Bobbi Sue knows she can’t stay quiet.

The only problem is, the person behind the murder is intent on her doing exactly that, no matter what it takes.


MY THOUGHTS

What a great start to a new series! This was such a fun read filled with interesting characters, a setting that came to life, and a head-scratcher of a mystery.

Speaking of the mystery, it was so good! Bobbi Sue didn't really see an alien, right? But if she didn't, then what actually happened? When it became apparent that a murder had taken place around the same time as the "close encounter", I couldn't read fast enough. I had to try and figure out what was going on. I thought I had it figured out multiple times, but I ended up being so surprised.

I loved the fact that this book was set during the 1980s. You don't see that too often, so that added a nice little twist, plus I enjoyed all the 80s references.

I highly, highly recommend this book to fans of cozy mysteries. I can't wait to solve more mysteries alongside Bobbi Sue!

I received an advanced copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment