Thursday, June 30, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Maxine Justice: Galactic Attorney by Daniel Schwabauer

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Maxine Justice: Galactic Attorney by Daniel Schwabauer. This is a really fun sci-fi legal thriller. Loved it!

About the Book
Can Justice Save the Earth from Extinction?

Maxine Justice is an ambulance-chasing lawyer desperate for relevance and cash when aliens hire her to represent them before the United Nations. An off-planet consortium wants to heal humanity of every natural disease in exchange for 30% of Earth’s gold reserves.

The deal launches Max to legal stardom and makes her an international target for assassins. MediCorp, Star Cross, PharFuture—the big medical companies all have good reasons to want Max out of the way. Worse, she discovers her alien clients may be planning something more sinister than anyone has imagined.

Can a lawyer who failed the bar exam three times find some way to save the world from global and interstellar conspiracies? Or will humankind’s future end in a galactic courtroom?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Maybe if I hadn't been stone broke, two months behind on my office rent and three on my apartment, in debt to Kenjiro, my law clerk, for six weeks' backpay, and completely out of cat food for Oliver Wendell, I wouldn't have taken that night-court shift down at the Coliseum, and my name wouldn't be the subject of worldwide scorn.

Friday 56
Once signed, I could leverage this contract into so much publicity that I'd have clients lined up well past my retirement. I'd be able to go after bullies like Bright Star Holdings. I could make sure my mom was taken care of and start a scholarship for law school students. I could buy a luxury catamaran and move to the Caribbean.

What have you been reading lately?

24 comments:

  1. I think this will be going on my tbr. Thanks for the intro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's such a fun read! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you are enjoying it. Here is mine: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2022/06/book-spotlight-fridays-when-death-draws.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Sarita! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. I like the premise, and that first sentence is fun. This sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best books I've read this year. Didn't want it to end. Have a great weekend, Mark! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, that set-up/premise is really something! I'm immediately intrigued by this book, especially cause Maxine does really sound a bit down on her luck, but very motivated! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max is such a great character and so fun to read about. I wouldn't mind a whole series with her as the main character. Happy weekend, Juli! :)

      Delete
  5. That sounds like an intriguing book! Certainly something I haven't heard of before!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/01/friday-56-reckless-girls-by-rachel-hawkins/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely unique. I've never read anything like it before. Have a great weekend, Emily! :)

      Delete
  6. Great excerpts! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE SECOND HUSBAND”

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I have to read that. I'm a lawyer, so it's always fun to read stories with lawyers as protagonists. And sci-fi to boot? Sign me up!
    Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sci-Fi and legal thriller was such a weird combo, and I didn't know how that would work, but it was perfect! I want many more books like this one. It was just too good! Happy reading, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  8. The whole idea of this one makes me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fantastic book. I've never read anything like it before, but I couldn't have loved it more. So, so good! Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  9. Those are great first lines! You immediately want to know more. I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely hooked and couldn't read it fast enough. Loved it so much! Hope you have a great weekend, Cindy! :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like they have great expectations. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Freda! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  11. Hello!
    I'm just starting Where the Road Bends by Rachel Fordham. So far, I'm loving it!
    "A firm peck to his nose startled him from his rest. His eyes flew open. A rooster, red and large, hovered above him."
    Hope you have a great weekend with plenty of relaxing reading time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opener! I want to know what happens next! Hope you have a great weekend, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  12. My first line comes fro Hope Beyond the Waves by Heidi Chiavaroli.
    Osterville, Massachusetts April, 1993

    I stand rigid, arms pinned to m6 sides as my mother wraps me in a loose hug in Gram’s foyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're enjoying it! I've loved everything I've read of this author's and am really looking forward to this one. Have a great weekend, Paula! :)

      Delete