Thursday, April 15, 2021

Review: Manor for Sale, Baron Included (A Romance of Rank #1) by Esther Hatch

About the Book
She has everything Lord Farnsworth wants, including his manor.

Lord Farnsworth would rather rot in debtor’s prison than sell the one place that feels like home to him—his mother’s manor. That is, until he meets the woman who wants to buy it. Sally Duncan is beautiful, intelligent, and as rich as a baron—a rich baron, not a cash-strapped one like Lord Farnsworth. She’s the solution to every one of his financial problems and is bewitching to boot. All he needs to do is sell her his beloved manor and then charm her to the altar, and the manor will be his again. Simple, right?

But nothing is simple when Sally starts tearing apart his ancestral home and renovating it in a way no one would consider tasteful. She is wreaking havoc on everything, but he cannot give up on owning his mother’s estate again, nor can he imagine anyone but Sally as his wife.

And so he sticks with his plan.

What a horrible mistake.


My thoughts

This was a ton of fun. It was full of lots of laughs and tenderhearted moments.

Jonathan and Sally's introduction was hilariously memorable, thanks in large part to Jonathan's friend Oliver. (I hope he gets his own book later on.) Most of Sally and Jonathan's interactions, especially in the beginning, brought so many laughs.

Jonathan seemed annoyingly snobbish to begin with but as we got to know him better, we learned that there was a whole lot more to him. There was a lot of depth there and he ended up being a genuinely good guy.

Victoria was my favorite character. She had so much spunk and fire. She didn't let her disability slow her down and I'm very much looking forward to her story.

While I loved the first half of this book, I didn't enjoy the second half quite as much. One of my biggest pet peeves in novels is when the conflict between two parties could be solved with one simple conversation. Well... the second half of this story was rife with that issue. There were multiple issues that could've been solved had they just had one conversation. I wanted to scream at them to just talk! I got so frustrated with them.

Despite that issue, I did enjoy the majority of this book and will be on the lookout for the next one.

Three stars

4 comments:

  1. That's one of my biggest pet peeves, too! When a 30 second conversation would clear everything up between the two main characters, and it takes 50+ pages of drama and angst instead. It's so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I just want to reach through the pages and shake some sense into the characters.

      Delete
  2. The premise sounds so much fun but I am sorry it didn't completely live up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Despite my issues with it, there were still a lot of moments that made me laugh. And I'm curious about the next book. :)

      Delete