Thursday, November 5, 2020

Review: The Storyteller's Daughter by Victoria McCombs

About the Book
His shadowed face lit by flames,
Rumpelstiltskin is my name...

For as long as anyone can remember, every child in Westfallen has been born with a Gift, and these Gifts defined them.

Then Cosette is born, Giftless.

An attempt to hide her misfortune brings her before the King, who entraps her to use her Gift as a pawn in his war.

Caught in a lie, Cosette desperately searches for a power strong enough to free her. Intrigued by whispers of an old king and a dark curse, she calls upon Rumpelstiltskin and finds him trapped in a magic deeper than she bargained for. Now, Cosette must fight to reclaim her freedom from the King and break Rumpel’s curse. When time runs out, she’ll lose more than her heart. She’ll lose her life.

THE STORYTELLER’S DAUGHTER is a Rumpelstiltskin retelling that will satisfy fans of Gail Carson Levine’s ELLA ENCHANTED, as well as Jessica Day George’s DRAGON SLIPPERS and PRINCESS OF GLASS, and Cameron Dokey’s THE WORLD ABOVE.


My Thoughts
Every child born showed signs of a special talent that set them apart from each other. Everyone had a piece of magic in their souls.

Everyone except me.

What an imaginative Rumpelstiltskin retelling! I've read a lot of retellings but I don't think any of them have been about Rumpel. So this book was a nice change. I really enjoyed it!

My favorite character, by far, was Rumpel. (Seriously, how can you not love Rumpel?) But Cosette was likable too. She was kind and sweet, yet strong and courageous, not settling for anything less than what she believed she deserved. Did I always agree with the way she went about things? No, but it did make for an entertaining read.

If you're a fan of fairy tales, I recommend checking this one out. I'm eager to read the next book in the series, Woods of Silver and Light, which follows Cosette's sister Anika.

3.5 Stars

6 comments:

  1. I've seen this one, and aside from the fairy tale retelling, that cover is enough to make me want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is what initially drew me in. Thankfully, the story inside was good too! :)

      Delete
  2. I've got this one on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved the review, and I definitely love fractured fairy tales! Putting it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to see a familiar story told in different ways. :)

      Delete