Thursday, June 25, 2020

Review: Annabel Lee (Coffey & Hill #1) by Mike Nappa

About the Book
Fourteen miles east of Peachtree, Alabama, a secret is hidden. That secret's name is Annabel Lee Truckson, and even she doesn't know why her mysterious uncle has stowed her deep underground in a military-style bunker. He's left her with a few German words, a barely-controlled guard dog, and a single command: "Don't open that door for anybody, you got it? Not even me."

Above ground, a former Army sniper called The Mute and an enigmatic "Dr. Smith" know about the girl. As the race begins to find her, the tension builds. Who wants to set her free? Why does the other want to keep her captive forever? Who will reach her first?

Private investigators Trudi Coffey and Samuel Hill need to piece together the clues and stay alive long enough to retrieve the girl--before it's too late.


My Thoughts

I read Annabel Lee years ago and loved it. I remember it being one of my favorite books of that year. With the release of the long-awaited third book in this series, I thought I'd revisit Annabel Lee. It was just as good as I remembered.

Here's my review from my first readthrough: 
Annabel Lee is an edge of your seat suspense that consumed all of my attention. Time passed super fast while I was reading it and I had a hard time putting it down when 'real life' interfered.

I've got to say that Annabel and the Mute are two of the best (and quite possibly favorite) characters I've read about in a while.

I was sad to see this novel end, but am VERY much looking forward to the next Coffey & Hill suspense, The Raven! 
Yep, I still feel all those things. Annabel and the Mute are hands down some of my favorite characters ever. They're so likable and unforgettable. From the very first line of the book, I knew there was no other character quite like Annabel. She has a very unique “voice” and I loved seeing things from her perspective. It was so great revisiting her and all the rest of the characters.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. It's pretty much a perfect suspense. Even though I knew how it all ended this time around, I was still racing through the pages and my anxiety was still through the roof. I began to wonder if I actually did remember it correctly, after all, because, my goodness, there's some dicey moments! Be prepared for an epic book hangover when you finish. I had planned to read something different next, but there's no way I can leave this world. And now, off to The Raven I go! 

Five Stars

2 comments: