Thursday, June 18, 2020

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Annabel Lee (Coffey & Hill #1) by Mike Nappa

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Annabel Lee (Coffey & Hill #1) by Mike Nappa. This is a reread for me. The long-awaitied third book in the series is finally out and I wanted to refresh my memory before diving into it. 

About the Book
Fourteen miles east of Peachtree, Alabama, a secret is hidden. That secret's name is Annabel Lee Truckson, and even she doesn't know why her mysterious uncle has stowed her deep underground in a military-style bunker. He's left her with a few German words, a barely-controlled guard dog, and a single command: "Don't open that door for anybody, you got it? Not even me."

Above ground, a former Army sniper called The Mute and an enigmatic "Dr. Smith" know about the girl. As the race begins to find her, the tension builds. Who wants to set her free? Why does the other want to keep her captive forever? Who will reach her first?

Private investigators Trudi Coffey and Samuel Hill need to piece together the clues and stay alive long enough to retrieve the girl--before it's too late.

Book Beginning
Uncle Truck keeps a German shepherd on his farm that'll eat human fingers if you feed 'em to it just right.
I know this because I have seen that dog. And I have seen them fingers.

Friday 56
Trudi smiled inside. She had to admit that she missed this, missed the daily give-and-take of having Samuel as her partner in an investigation. He was a good thinker, and someone with natural initiative. Then her mind wandered to his faults, reminding her of his, um, other entanglements in the Middle Eastern world. She felt suddenly tired again. And just a little bitter.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book. It sounds like a thrilling story. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite thrillers. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is. The mystery has a connection to the Poe story. Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  3. Now I am curious. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SWAN SONG”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of this one...and I'm definitely curious to know more about Annabel Lee. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She quite an interesting character. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a page-turner! Enjoy :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to have to read this one!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm intrigued, and that's a heck of a beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It raises the question of why Uncle Truck would have a dog like that. I was so curious to figure that out. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete