Thursday, December 5, 2019

Review: The Bridge to Belle Island by Julie Klassen

About the Book
After a humiliating mistake, lawyer Benjamin Booker resolves to never again trust a beautiful woman. When an old friend is killed, the senior partner isn't satisfied with Bow Street's efforts and asks Benjamin to investigate. Eager to leave London for a while, Benjamin agrees. Evidence takes him to a remote island on the Thames, a world unto itself, shrouded in mist and mystery. Soon he finds himself falling for the main suspect--a woman who claims not to have left the island in ten years. But should he trust her?

On Belle Island, Isabelle feels safe and leads a productive life, but fear keeps her trapped there. When Mr. Booker arrives with news of her trustee's murder in London, Isabelle is stunned. She has not left the island, yet she has a recurring dream about the man's death. Or is it a memory? She had been furious with him, but she never intended . . . this.

When a second person dies and evidence shockingly points to her, Isabelle doesn't know who to trust: the attractive lawyer or the admirer and friends who assemble on the island, each with grudges against the victim. Can she even trust her own mind? While they search for the truth, secrets come to light and danger comes calling.
 


My Thoughts

It's been way too long since I've read a Julie Klassen book. The Bridge to Belle Island reminded me of what a master she is in this genre. The romance, the setting, the characters, the intrigue, the historical detail, the dialogue. So good!

The mystery was superb. Everyone was a suspect and had plenty of motive to do the deed. I was constantly left guessing and trying to figure out what was going on and who the most likely suspect was. I was shocked when the reveal finally came.

The pacing was a little inconsistent at times and dragged in a few places, especially the end, but other than that, I really enjoyed reading it. It's sure to delight fans of regency mysteries.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

Four Stars

2 comments:

  1. I've been aware of this author for a long time now, but I've never read any of her books. I don't know why. They're the kind of book I enjoy. Guess they've just gotten lost on my TBR list. What's your favorite Klassen novel? Maybe I'll start with that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one that comes to mind is The Maid of Fairbourne Hall. That's probably my favorite one, but The Painter's Daughter is right up there with it. :)

      Delete