Monday, September 30, 2024

Review: Specters in the Glass House by Jaime Jo Wright

About the Book
An ominous butterfly house. A sinister legacy. An untraceable killer.

In 1921, Marian Arnold, the heiress to a brewing baron's empire, seeks solace in the glass butterfly house on her family's Wisconsin estate as Prohibition and the deaths of her parents cast a long shadow over her shrinking world. When Marian's sanctuary is invaded by nightmarish visions, she grapples with the line between hallucinations of things to come and malevolent forces at play in the present. With dead butterflies as the killer's ominous signature, murders unfold at a steady pace. Marian, fearful she might be next, enlists the help of her childhood friend Felix, a war veteran with his own haunted past.

In the present day, researcher Remy Shaw becomes entangled in an elderly biographer's quest to uncover the truth behind Marian Arnold's mysterious life and the unsolved murders linked to an infamous serial killer. Joined by Marian's great-great-grandson, can Remy expose the evil that lurks beneath broken wings? Or will the dark legacy surrounding the manor and its glass house destroy yet another generation?


MY THOUGHTS

Jaime Jo Wright never fails to impress. This was another hauntingly beautiful story full of spine-chilling moments and a hope-filled message.

This dual timeline takes place at Müllerian Manor in 1921 with Marian Arnold one year into prohibition and the present day with Remy Shaw.

The Arnold family's fortunes took a turn for the worse when prohibition became law. After the bankruptcy of the family's brewery and the death of her parents, the only thing left for Marian is their summer home, staffed with only a few remaining servants. Ghostly visions haunt her, and butterflies become an ominous portent of doom as a killer strikes.

In the present day, Remy is a biographer’s assistant staying at Müllerian Manor, helping to research Marian’s mysterious life and the elusive serial killer, the Butterfly Butcher. But danger is around every corner, and it’s not long before Remy is being targeted in the same way that the Butterfly Butcher’s victims were.

I was so invested in the mysteries and was completely surprised by the turn of events. I thought I had it all figured out several times, but nope! I didn’t see it coming until right before the reveals!

I enjoyed both timelines equally. I usually prefer one over the other, but not this time. They were both equally compelling. I enjoyed the characters from both times. And it was really interesting to see the connections and parallels between the two.

Elton, the biographer, was a hoot! I loved the bond he and Remy had. Their conversations and banter made me laugh several times.

I appreciated the way mental illness was handled. It's an important topic, and the author treated it with respect and dignity.

I can't say enough good things about this book. Jaime Jo Wright is a master in this genre, and she keeps upping the ante with each book. I love how she always weaves a strong Christian message into her spooky tales. Needless to say, I highly recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.
 
FIVE STARS

4 comments:

  1. I've really got to try some of her books! All the ones of hers that you've reviewed sound so good. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like her books, Lark. They're good and spooky mysteries. :D

      Delete
  2. First of all, I ADORE this cover! The combo of chilling and hopeful has me very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime Jo Wright is so good at combining chilling, spooky mysteries with a hopeful message. :D

      Delete