Friday, September 27, 2024

Review: What Comes of Attending the Commoners Ball by Elisabeth Aimee Brown

About the Book

Hester Flanders went to the ball for the food. She didn’t expect a prince to follow her home.

If there’s one rule Hester learned during her country upbringing, it’s never accept a gift: that’s how the Folk get you. Although she’s left her farm behind, she can’t leave her superstitions, even if no one else in the capital city seems to care. Hardworking but hungry, she’s looking for loopholes, and the king’s annual Commoners Ball seems like the perfect way to get a free meal that’s not technically a gift—and it would have been, too, except a pesky prince took a shine to her.

Inglebert Lucas Chesingwick isn’t just the crown prince: he’s also practical, responsible, and very annoyed to see his younger brother causing a scene by flirting with a peasant at the ball. He can separate them for one night, but his mischievous brother is determined to see the poor girl again. And again. And for some reason, Lucas keeps running into her, too. If only there was some way he could help her …

The princes might mean well, but Hester knows better than to accept favors from anyone, even royalty—even if it’s cheese—and even if saying no breaks her heart. After all, just because the Folk have never been seen in the city doesn’t mean they’re not around …

Cinderella meets Howl’s Moving Castle in this cozy fantasy romance from debut author Elisabeth Aimee Brown. Pick up your copy and whirl away into a whimsical story of glittering gaslamps, frisky Folk, and huggable hogs.


MY THOUGHTS

This story was hilarious, sweet, and full of wonder. I loved every second of it. Well, except for the fact that it ended. I didn’t want to leave these characters or this world.

I liked Hester a lot. She was brave, sassy, and bold. I loved her attitude and how she handled herself in some rather out of the ordinary situations. I wish I was more like her! I have to say, though, that we do share the same affinity for cheese. The whole idea that she goes to a ball not for the Prince but for the food was such a clever twist! Things certainly didn’t go the way Hester imagined they would, but it was quite a fun ride, that’s for sure!

I loved all the characters. Well, maybe not so much Hugh. But Lucas, on the other hand, was a good and honorable guy who I instantly liked. And Chemmy was such a great friend to Hester. So loyal and caring.

I thought the lore behind the Folk was really interesting.

There was a twist that I didn’t see coming that completely surprised me. It made me want to go back to the beginning and read the story all over again to see if I could catch the clues. So good!

What a wonderfully delightful tale! It was an absolute joy to read! I loved it so much and am very eager to read more from this author. Needless to say, I highly, highly recommend it.

I received a copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

4 comments: