Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Review: The Necromancer's Apprentice by Beverly Twomey

About the Book
Georgie would do anything to help his father - even learn the dying art of necromancy.

Twelve-year-old Georgie works hard to care for his grieving father while keeping his nosy younger cousin out of trouble. But when his father begins to decline even further, Georgie decides to bring back the one person who could do it all, his deceased mother.

The local Necromancer is an awkward and solitary man with an ancient black cat and a literal skeleton in his closet. With a few words, he can cause a dead sparrow to fly, stop an animated skeleton in its place, and even speak to the dead themselves. Georgie is quickly swept away into a world of skeletal horrors, abandoned graves, and wizard duels where woodland creatures arm themselves against the undead. But can he convince the Necromancer to resurrect his mother in time?

Perfect for fans of Diana Wynne Jones and T. Kingfisher, THE NECROMANCER’S APPRENTICE is a whimsical take on the process of grieving and learning to live again.


MY THOUGHTS
“Grief is a funny thing. Sometimes we grieve what we never knew.”
“It doesn’t feel like grief.”
“Yes, it may look quite different from what those around you are experiencing. But it’s still grief and it’s still important.”

I loved this book so much! It's a heartwarming and whimsical tale of overcoming grief. Filled with wonderful characters, spooky moments, animated skeletons, a wizard duel, and so much more, I couldn’t get enough of it! It really tugged at my heartstrings.

It was a fun story that had me laughing out loud several times, but it also tackled some serious topics with grace and respect. Grief is hard, and nobody experiences it in the same way. I appreciated how it was so delicately woven into the story.

I really liked Georgie. His bond with cousin Ellory was so sweet. They were quite the pair! I admired Georgie’s determination and bravery despite his fear. And I loved Ellory’s inquisitiveness. I’d love a sequel that follows her.

This was a quick read, but it left a big impression. I'll be thinking about it for a long time. I finished the last half nearly in one sitting. I was completely enamored with the story.

I received a copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! Why are necromancer's so fun to read about? And Georgie sounds great. I really wish my library had this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your library gets it one of these days. It's such a heartwarming story, which kinda surprised me because of the subject matter, but it worked so well. Necromancers are so much fun to read about. :D

      Delete