Thursday, September 19, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: To Defy a Dream by Mary Mecham

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. It was started by Freda at Freda's Voice, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over for the time being.

This week I'm featuring To Defy a Dream by Mary Mecham. I've been wanting to read something by this author for awhile and I'm glad that I finally did. This was a fun and unique twist to Sleeping Beauty. 

About the Book
What if Sleeping Beauty pricked her finger on purpose?

Princess Aurelia’s kingdom is plagued by the Eternal Slumber, a disease progressively ensnaring the minds of her subjects. After Aurelia wishes for the means to revive her brother, her sinister fairy godmother presents an ominous solution: Aurelia must stab herself with a poisoned spindle.

Accepting this fate plunges Aurelia into a nightmare where victims of the Eternal Slumber are being held hostage by a dark djinni. However, Aurelia’s brother isn’t the only familiar face she finds herself reunited with; Everett, the love of her life who mysteriously disappeared years ago, is there as well. As the djinni’s power grows, Aurelia must decide who to save before the djinni escapes and enters the waking world.

Failing on her quest could trap her in the dream world forever. Will she forgo her chance at a happily ever after and protect her brother, or will she choose to rescue herself and the man she loves?

No matter who she chooses, someone will be doomed to remain in the nightmare that never ends.

To Defy a Dream is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. It is one of twelve novellas in The Shattered Tales, a collection of twelve fractured retellings of your favorite fairy tales. They can be enjoyed in any order, so fall in love with the swoony sweet romances, magical adventures, and tale-shattering twists one happily-ever-after at a time!

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Danger. That was the clear message that the bewitched spindle's cold, unforgiving metal gave me as it rolled between my fingers, the sharpened silver tip drawing my eyes repeatedly.

Friday 56
Everett had never looked so panicked, not in all of my recollections.

What have you been reading lately?

10 comments:

  1. I am always amazed at how many retelling of fairy tales there are. I read a sleeping beauty retelling a few years ago and couldn't believe how much the story stood the original on its head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to see how these fairy tales can be twisted and yet still stay true to the story. Hope you have a great week, Anne! :)

      Delete
  2. Love that first line! And what a great premise. What if she did prick her finger on purpose? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It poses such an interesting question. Why would she do that? Hope you have a wonderful week, Lark! :)

      Delete
  3. I like the premise of this fairytale retelling! And that's a good first line, I hope you're enjoying it. I'm currently reading Phoenix Heart by Sarah K. L. Wilson.
    -Veros @ Dark Shelf of Wonders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that author's books! Hope you're enjoying it! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! Sounds like a really good book. I'm currently getting ready to start Apple Pie or Die :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good one! Hope you enjoy it! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoy re-tellings and haven't read many based on Sleeping Beauty. This sounds really good. Definitely one I will have to check out. Have a great week, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many Sleeping Beauty ones either. This one has a very unique twist on the original tale. Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete