Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Review: The Sun Still Rises: A Charity Anthology

About the Book
Light shines brightest in dark places…

A selfish empress slowly turns to gold. A highschooler's hallucinations reveal a dangerous new world of Faerie. An outcast battles shadow demons to save her people from the plague.

This charity collection of YA fantasy stories celebrates the light found in dark places, just as Lani Forbes once embodied having hope in difficult times. Her spirit shines on through these beautiful, bittersweet tales full of fallen stars and fae princes, werewolves and magic wielders, samurai and smoky skies.

Featuring stories from Ronie Kendig, Jill Williamson, Julie Hall, Carrie Anne Noble, S.D. Grimm, and more!


MY THOUGHTS

This was a beautiful collection of hope-filled short stories honoring the memory of author Lani Forbes, who sadly passed away from cancer. These YA fantasy stories brilliantly showcase finding hope and light in the darkness.

With any collection like this one, I was drawn to some stories more than others, but each one left me feeling encouraged and uplifted. Some of my favorites were Pixie Dust and Princes by Julie Hall (I hope Hall expands or revisits this story because I want more!), Where I'm Supposed to Be by Callie Thomas (if I had to describe this in one word: enchanting), The Evenglow by Cassandra Hamm (this was such an emotional read. I loved it!), Falling Scales by C.M. Banschbach (I want to read more from this author!), and companion stories, The Weaver and the Dragon by Lauren Hildebrand and To Share the Sky by A.C. Williams (I loved the worldbuilding!) The list could keep going, though, because this anthology is full of great stories. There were many authors I was familiar with, but there were quite a few new ones that I'm looking forward to reading more from.

This anthology is sure to uplift the reader and fill them with hope. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I received an advanced copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FOUR STARS

2 comments:

  1. I don't read a lot of short stories, but the fact that these are all hope-filled fantasy stories kind of makes me want to give some a try. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that they were all hopeful and uplifting. They were such great reminders that no matter how bad things get, there's always hope for things to get better. :)

      Delete