Thursday, June 8, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Jonas (The Minnesota Marshalls #2) by Susan May Warren

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Jonas (The Minnesota Marshalls #2) by Susan May Warren. The third book just released earlier this week, so I thought I'd better get caught up. I'm really enjoying this series so far.

About the Book
Jonas Marshall is done storm-chasing, plagued with the memory of a terrible accident that paralyzed a fellow chaser, so the last thing he’s going to do is run into more danger. Now, he’s just a simple weatherman deploying dirigibles in an experiment to track weather patterns in Slovenia.

As far from danger as he can get.

But danger comes knocking in the form of hiker in need of rescue, and he can’t deny that her companion—beautiful Sibba Kovac—is a great distraction from the guilt that haunts him…until she paraglides right out of his life.

Probably for the best.

But danger still won’t leave him alone when a storm knocks his dirigibles out of the sky, and he happens upon one that looks tampered with…

It is. And worse, it’s carrying what could be radioactive waste. At least according to EOD expert Sibba…who finds herself face-to-face with the rescuer she can’t forget. But she’s not looking for him—her grandfather is missing, and she’ll stop at nothing to find him.

When her missing grandfather leads to the threat of a dirty bomb, she’s the only one who can stop it. And Jonas is the only man brave enough to run into danger with her. But she doesn’t have room in her heart to love him—not when she lives with death in her periphery. Can the right man, at the right time help her see beyond her fears to a future?

And if they have a chance to save the world, can Jonas let go of the woman he loves?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
He had to get off this mountain.

Friday 56
"I promise, this is the fastest way down." Sibba stood, harness on, her fluffy orange-and-blue chute spread out across the grassy hill.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. I like the quotes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is he quitting storm chasing? What kind of chasing? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to say too much, but something bad happened when he was chasing a tornado and that made him stop.

      Delete
  3. Interesting. Not my style, but I'm intrigued. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Storm chasing always creeps me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'd never be able to do it. Too scary for me!

      Delete
  5. I have Knox, but haven't started the series yet. I want to though.... just for the covers alone. ;-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great series! I hope you love it, Freda! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh...I like the sound of this one with the weather dirigibles and her missing grandfather and tracking down a dirty bomb! Very exciting stuff. Am putting it on my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so exciting! Never a dull moment! Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  7. Happy Friday, Ashley! I hope you enjoy this one and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  8. I loved Jonas!

    Happy Friday!
    I'm just starting When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer.
    "For as long as I could remember, my mama had told me that my life was a gift."
    Have a wonderful weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing wonderful things about this book. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend too! :)

      Delete
  9. This series looks really good! I'm currently reading the second novella in On Rittenhouse Square by Susanne Dietze. The first line is: "Did you see it Penny? You're famous." Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, great line! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week! :D

      Delete