Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Review: Fairest of Heart by Karen Witemeyer

About the Book
Once upon a time in Texas . . .

Beauty has been nothing but a curse to Penelope Snow. When she becomes a personal maid for a famous actress whose troupe is leaving Chicago to tour the West, she hides her figure beneath shapeless dresses and keeps her head down. But she still manages to attract the wrong attention, leaving her prospects in tatters--and her jealous mistress plotting her demise.

After his brother lost his life over a woman, Texas Ranger Titus Kingsley has learned to expect the worst from women and is rarely disappointed. So when a young lady found in suspicious circumstances takes up residence with the seven old drovers living at his grandfather's ranch, Titus is determined to keep a close eye on her.

With a promotion hanging in the balance, Titus is assigned to investigate a robbery case tied to Penelope's acting troupe, and all evidence points to Penelope's guilt. But Titus might just be convinced that the fairest woman of all has a heart as pure as her last name . . . if only he can prove it.


MY THOUGHTS

What a wonderful historical romance! Y'all know I love a good fairytale retelling, and I've gotta say, this was excellent. One of my favorites in recent memory. I loved all the nods to Snow White. Every time one popped up, I had to smile. My favorite part of the story was the Seven Drovers. They filled the shoes of their Dwarf counterparts so well. I loved them all.

Oftentimes with Snow White retellings, "Snow" comes across as annoyingly and unrealistically perfect, but I was happy to find Penelope to be very likable. Yes, she had the typical characteristics you'd find in Snow White, but she wasn't perfect, and I really liked that. Titus was a true gentleman. Such an honorable and caring guy. He could be stubborn about some things but could admit when he was wrong, which I appreciated. While I thought the villainess was a bit over the top, she fit the part well.

All in all, I really enjoyed this western retelling of Snow White. It was a fun and sweet read that I highly recommend to fans of inspirational historical romance.

I received an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

4.5 STARS

2 comments:

  1. The seven drovers! lol. I love the sound of this one. A western retelling of Snow White...how clever and fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was so much fun! And the seven drovers were so great! Such a fun twist! :D

      Delete