Thursday, February 2, 2023

Review: The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians Book #1) by Dani Pettrey

About the Book
When one Coast Guard officer is found dead and another goes missing, Coast Guard Investigative Service special agent Finn Walker faces his most dangerous crime yet. His only clues are what little evidence remains aboard the dead officer's boat, and the direction the clues point to will test Finn and the Guard to their limits.

When investigative reporter--and Finn's boss's sister--Gabby Rowley arrives, her unrelenting questions complicate an already volatile situation. Now that she's back, the tug on Finn's heart is strong, but with the risks she's taking for her next big story, he fears she might not live through it.

Thrown together by the heinous crime, Finn and Gabby can't ignore the sparks or judgments flying between them. But will they be able to see past their preconceptions long enough to track down an elusive killer, or will they become his next mark?


MY THOUGHTS

It took me a little bit to really get into this book. There are a lot of names and a lot going on, so it was hard to keep things straight at first. And while I usually appreciate shorter chapters, I think they might've been a bit of a hindrance here, especially in the beginning. They kept switching between different characters and settings, and it felt like I hardly got a grasp of things before it moved on to something else.

But don't let all that sway you away from this book. Once I got my bearings, I ended up REALLY enjoying it. The characters were great. Likable and authentic in a realistically flawed way. The mystery kept me on my toes. I was reading as fast as I could, trying to figure out what was really going on and who was involved. It was compelling, to say the least. An action-packed thrill ride to the very end. And I'm excited for the next one!

FOUR STARS

4 comments:

  1. Switching settings and characters like that can be a bit confusing in a book. I'm glad this one still ended up being a very good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one before I wrote actual reviews but my comment said it was excellent, LOL, so I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it too. Have you read the sequels? I just finished the second one (it'll be featured on my Friday post tomorrow) and loved it. :)

      Delete