Thursday, February 23, 2023

Review: The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians #2) by Dani Pettrey

About the Book
When an accident claims the life of an oil-rig worker on the first drilling platform off the North Carolina coast, Coast Guard investigators Rissi Dawson and Mason Rogers are sent to take the case. Tensions surrounding the oil rig are high and the death has everyone on edge. Environmental activists are threatening to do whatever it takes to stop the structure from being completed, while rumors are being whispered about ancient curses surrounding this part of the ocean.

Mounting evidence shows the death may not have been an accident at all. Was he killed by one of the activists or, perhaps more frighteningly, a member of his own crew? Rissi and Mason have to sort through not only a plethora of suspects, but also their own past and attraction to each other.

Just as the case seems like it'll break open, worse news arrives. A tropical storm has turned their way and soon they're cut off from any rescue--and right where the killer wants them. It's a race to discover his identity before he eliminates the threat they pose.


MY THOUGHTS

This was so good! I enjoyed the first book even though I had a few issues with it. There were so many characters and so much going on that it took me a while to keep things straight. Because of that, I wanted to read this sequel as soon as possible after finishing the first one. And I think that really helped me. I was already familiar with the characters and setting, so I was able to jump right back into things with no trouble whatsoever.

I enjoyed getting to know Rissi better. I really admired her resiliency. She'd been through so much but was such a kind, hardworking, and brave person. I really liked Mason. It felt like I already knew him since Rissi thought of him so often in the first book. He was such a great guy. Always ready to lend a hand, sometimes to the point of being reckless. But if someone was in need, or in danger, he was going to help, regardless of his own safety.

This was fast-paced and kept me glued to the pages. I reached the end before I knew it! The whole idea of a "cursed" oil rig really intrigued me. I was eager to figure out the truth behind it. And even though I felt like things wrapped up too quickly in the end, it was an enjoyable and worthwhile adventure. I'd definitely recommend starting with the first book because, even though this could technically be a standalone, there are a lot of characters, history, and connections that would be missed out on. I'm looking forward to diving into the next book soon.

FOUR STARS

4 comments:

  1. The 'cursed' location of this one is intriguing. Are there three books in this series? Or more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are three full-length books, which have all been released. But there's also a connected novella that's coming out in May. :D

      Delete