Thursday, February 23, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Her Darkest Secret by Jessica R. Patch

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Her Darkest Secret by Jessica R. Patch. I can't say enough good things about it. It's so creepy, yet so good! 

About the Book
When a cold-case serial killer returns, FBI special agent Fiona Kelly has one last chance to stop him before he claims the prize he’s always wanted—her.

The sight of a goose feather at a murder scene modeled after a children’s poem is enough to make FBI special agent Fiona Kelly's blood turn to ice. Almost two decades ago, a feather was left with her sister's body—and with every subsequent victim of the Nursery Rhyme Killer. Now he's back. Only this time, his latest gruesome murder is a message to the only one who ever got away: Fiona.

Finding “Rhyme” is an obsession that's fueled Fiona's career—and destroyed her marriage to fellow FBI agent Asa Kodiak. Now Fiona and Asa have to put their past tensions aside and work together one last time. But Rhyme is watching, and catching this killer may force Fiona to reveal her biggest, darkest secret…the one only he knows.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
"Here, kitty, kitty." His voice echoed through the forest.

Friday 56
Fiona's pulse was off the charts but she concentrated on the road, gripping the wheel and refusing to imagine the worst. She was pushing 100 miles an hour on the interstate and it didn't feel fast enough.

What have you been reading lately?

23 comments:

  1. I heard this was good and on my TBR. My book spotlight friday: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2023/02/book-spotlight-fridays-shattered.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. Super creepy, but I really enjoyed it. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Terrifying. I would not be able to sleep if I read this book with that first opening line haunting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read this after dark. I was afraid of the nightmares it would give me. Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It did me too. It was a very creepy prologue. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. The quotes...I have to echo what the other commenters already said. The first one is eerie and the second one is just tense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, but the villain is probably one of the creepiest I've ever read about. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. Love that 56, really pulled me in!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh... this does sound good! Creepy in a suspense novel can be so much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I had just finished reading a light and funny book, so this was a big change, but I really enjoyed it. Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  7. Her Darkest Secret was a stunning book!

    My first line comes from The Maid of Ballymacool by Jennifer Deibel:
    County Donegal, Ireland September 1935
    The slap had hit its mark, leaving a burning outline Brianna was certain showed perfectly on her cheek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read this one. It sounds so good! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend, Paula! :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good suspenseful story - that 56 blurb is good action! The plot doesn't sound like anything new so hopefully the writing is good enough to keep you interested! I like good thrillers.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-39

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. Made me want to read more from this author. Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm currently reading Brooke by Ronie Kendig. It's intense.
    "Holy fires, it hurt to breathe. She wanted to slow down but knew she couldn't."
    I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this one. Such a great conclusion to the series. Hope you're enjoying! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  10. This one looks so intense. I'm reading another Love Inspired Suspense ... Kidnapped in Texas by Virginia Vaughan. The first line is: "Abby Mitchell crossed the street to drop a letter into the mailbox." Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and for sharing, Danielle! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Cindy! It gets pretty intense, but it's so good! :)

      Delete
  12. Another book on my tbr!!

    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2023/03/first-line-friday-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete