Thursday, February 9, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Searching for Refuge: Book One of the Search Series by Britney Farr

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Searching for Refuge by Britney Farr. I really enjoyed this faith-based dystopian novel. It was exciting and had some twists I didn't expect. I'll have my review up Monday.

About the Book (From the author's website)
“In a world where the government deems anyone without the mark an enemy, Amina and her community of Notzrim live each day hoping they won’t be found. But after nine years, their time is up. Amina’s only hope is to find a new refuge. Can she prove to everyone else the threat is real and get them to leave before it’s too late?”

For nine years twins Amina and Aiden survived, hidden in the underground tunnels. But when a mysterious newcomer appears, Amina realizes they are on the verge of being discovered. Now, they must make an impossible decision: stay and fight: risking their lives along with hundreds of others. Or escape to a new refuge that may hold more enemies than before.

Either way, the clock is ticking.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
"Run, keep moving."
"I'm moving as fast as I can."
"Shhh! They'll find us if we're not quiet."

Friday 56
Adrenaline surged through her body giving her new found strength. With the dagger drawn, Amina pulled herself up. Who brings a knife to a gunfight?

What have you been reading lately?


28 comments:

  1. Oh no. Not a mark. That is what anti-vaxxers thought the COVID vaccine would do...put a mark on us. Eek! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cover. Here is my post: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2023/02/cant-wait-wednesday-through-waters-deep.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Something about it really draws me in. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I like the quotes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Breana! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  4. The quotes are good as drawing us into the story. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great start to the book... I'm curious to find out more.

    My First Line Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. They are! I usually really enjoy them. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds intense right from the start! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first lines are catchy! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  9. My first line comes from Cold Light of Day by Elizabeth Goddard:
    Southeast Alaska. August
    Autumn Long had no plans to give up without a fight, even though it might be killing her a little every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great beginning! I can't wait to read this one! Thanks for sharing, Paula! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  10. I do like a good dystopian story. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lisa! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  11. This sounds so exciting and fun! Am adding it to my TBR list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I haven't read a dystopia like this in a while, but it reminded me just how much I love them. Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  12. Both of those excerpts are intense! This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  13. This book sounds stressful (but in a good way, lol).

    I’m currently reading Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong. It’s fun!
    “We pay the day-use fee and get the indoor pool to ourselves for the moment.”
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely stressful, lol! Husband Auditions has been on my wishlist for a while. It sounds so good! Thanks for sharing! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a good read! I'm just starting Bound by a Secret by Jolene Navarro. The first line is: "Greyson McKinsey rolled his neck and stared at the Texas sky above him." Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Danielle! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete