Thursday, September 15, 2022

Review: Vivid (The Color Theory #1) by Ashley Bustamante

About the Book
DANGER LURKS BEHIND EVERY COLOR

Ava Locke dives into the mysteries of forbidden Yellow magic and discovers a dark path filled with secrets and injustice.

When Ava Locke was five years old, she began a journey to join the Benefactors—the leaders of the magical continent of Magus. Twelve years later, she unwittingly started down the road to betray them.

On Magus where colors fuel magical abilities, yellow is banned in an effort to protect people from its mind-controlling capabilities. When a rogue Yellow magic-user named Elm escapes imprisonment Ava becomes innocently fascinated with his story. Once this mysterious Elm shows up at her school, Ava pushes her interest to the next level by helping him evade the Benefactors. Ava grows increasingly conflicted as her intrigue leads her down a dark road of secrets about her world. As she learns more about Yellow magic’s potential to control its victims, Ava now must question whether her rash decisions are all her own or if someone else is pulling the strings.


MY THOUGHTS

I absolutely loved this book! It was an incredibly compelling read that I know I'll be thinking about for a long time. I was pretty sure I was gonna like it, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.

The worldbuilding was fantastic and the magic system was very interesting. I've read a few books featuring color magic, but nothing quite like this. It was very unique, which I loved.

I never knew what to expect next. I didn't know who, or what, to trust. Who was telling the truth? Was Yellow magic really as dangerous as they said it was? What were the benefactors hiding? Why so many secrets? Who were the bad guys? I was obsessed and had to find out the answers!

This was a breath of fresh air, which might sound weird talking about a dystopian-like fantasy, but I didn't even know how much I was craving a book like this. It really hit the spot. I highly recommend it and am very much looking forward to the sequel!

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. I love when a book hits the spot like that. And the magic in this one does sound very fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when a magic system can be familiar and yet so unique. :)

      Delete