Thursday, September 1, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Eloise and the Grump Next Door (Oakley Island Romcom #1) by Emma St. Clair & Jenny Proctor

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Eloise and the Grump Next Door (Oakley Island Romcom #1) by Emma St. Clair & Jenny Proctor. This is such a fun and hilarious romcom! I loved every second of it!

About the Book
I’m not sure which is worse--the lawyer handling my grandmother’s estate or the attack pelican living on the screened-in porch. Just kidding--I’ll take the pelican any day.

After graduation, I thought I’d be off to grad school, doing research on my favorite poet. Instead, I’m renovating my late grandmother’s home and posting about the process on Instagram. Talk about a detour …

But here I am. Turning Gran’s beach house into a bed and breakfast--a process that would be a lot easier if I didn’t have to deal with the grumpy lawyer living next door. It doesn’t help that the night Jake and I met, I got a little tipsy, and he had to carry me back to my hotel.

But the longer I stay on Oakley Island, the more I feel a connection to my childhood and to my grandmother. This isn’t the life I dreamed of, but dreams can change. Especially when new dreams include a future with Jake. On the outside, he might be pricklier than a puffer fish, but I catch glimpses of a delicious, cinnamon roll center.

Did I mention the tattoos he hides underneath those crisp button-down shirts? Yowza.

When I’m suddenly presented with the academic opportunity of my dreams (former dreams?), my picturesque life on Oakley starts to unravel.

A part of me wants to stay. If only a certain tattooed grump didn’t seem so determined to send me away …

Eloise and The Grump Next Door is a grumpy sunshine, closed door romantic comedy. The Oakley Island Romcom series follows three very different sisters as they renovate the house they inherited and find love on the island along the way. Each book will have sizzling chemistry but no spice.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
As far as birthdays go, this one isn't the worst.

Friday 56
Could this night be filled with any more embarrassment? I think I've filled my lifetime quota.

What have you been reading lately?

22 comments:

  1. I really like the quotes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something tells me this is a pretty bad birthday if not the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not deal well with an attack pelican anywhere near me... But also, tattoos hidden under crisp white shirts absolutely is my cup of tea, so I'd be in! Have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Juli. Hope you have a lovely one too! :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great book. Going onto my Goodreads list!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/02/friday-56-if-it-looks-like-a-duck-by-frank-malley/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  5. An attack pelican....lol. :D Gotta love that grumpy guy trope. And it's set on an island! Sounds super fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pelican stole the show! So funny! And yeah, gotta love the grumpy guy! Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  6. My first line this week is from The Bride of Blackfriars Lane by Michelle Griep:
    London 1885
    September afternoons were meant for soft whispers and stolen kisses, not ash and soot and the gangrenous eye of a ruthless taskmaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great opener! I definitely want to read this one! Happy weekend, Paula! :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's so much fun! Have a great weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  8. I have this one and can't wait until I get to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy it, Cindy. It's such a fun read! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Relatable snippets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm currently reading Sit, Stay, Love by Dana Mentink. It's super cute!
    "Gina was surprised at the size of the ranch."
    Have a great weekend! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to read this one for a while. Glad to hear you're liking it. Have a great weekend, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  11. That sounds fun!

    I'm reading another book by Karen Witemeyer: Full Steam Ahead. The first line is: "Passengers jockeyed for position along the steamboat Louisiana's railings, waving and calling merry farewells to the crowd lining the levee."

    Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Full Steam Ahead. Hope you're enjoying it. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete