Thursday, September 8, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Vivid (The Color Theory #1) by Ashley Bustamante

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Vivid (The Color Theory #1) by Ashley Bustamante. I was expecting a straight up fantasy here, but this has a definite dystopia-vibe to it, which I'm loving. It's SO GOOD!

About the Book
DANGER LURKS BEHIND EVERY COLOR

Ava Locke dives into the mysteries of forbidden Yellow magic and discovers a dark path filled with secrets and injustice.

When Ava Locke was five years old, she began a journey to join the Benefactors—the leaders of the magical continent of Magus. Twelve years later, she unwittingly started down the road to betray them.

On Magus where colors fuel magical abilities, yellow is banned in an effort to protect people from its mind-controlling capabilities. When a rogue Yellow magic-user named Elm escapes imprisonment Ava becomes innocently fascinated with his story. Once this mysterious Elm shows up at her school, Ava pushes her interest to the next level by helping him evade the Benefactors. Ava grows increasingly conflicted as her intrigue leads her down a dark road of secrets about her world. As she learns more about Yellow magic’s potential to control its victims, Ava now must question whether her rash decisions are all her own or if someone else is pulling the strings.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
How do you keep a Mentalist out of your head?
How do you evict them when they creep in and seize control? When the words out of your mouth no longer belong to you? When your will is torn away?

Friday 56
The contrast between last night's dinner and tonight's is painful. I can feel the weight of my emotions and everyone else's, pressing down on me and turning the taste of the food in my mouth dull and unpalatable. I can't look at Matthew, although he hasn't said a word about what transpired in the basement. Blake pokes at his food, shooting furtive glances.

What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. That opening certainly grabs you attention. Glad you are enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mark! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting beginning! Here is my Friday post: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2022/09/book-spotlight-fridays-premonition-at.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love a good fantasy-dystopia mix! That beginning truly does pose some important questions, but the idea of other people's emotions pressing in in the F56 really got me because I also sometimes feel like that. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :) Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. You grabbed me with that beginning! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that cover! And how fun to give a fantasy book a dystopian vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I love that combination! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  6. My first line comes from Worthy of Legend by Roseanna White:
    The sea was vengeance. The sea was justice. The sea was the hand of the Almighty, stretched out to slap and strike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opener! I really need to get caught up on Roseanna White's books. Happy weekend, Paula! :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful cover! I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm currently reading Worthy of Legend by Roseanna M. White. It's SO good!
    "The end of the evening was at long last in sight, which lured Emily into relaxation. Too soon, however."
    Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Roseanna White's books. I need to get caught up on them. Hope you have a good weekend too, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  9. An interesting looking book. I love the colours used on the cover!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/10/friday-56-american-royals-by-katharine-mcgee/

    ReplyDelete