Thursday, September 15, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Bound by Disaster (Beach Bound Books and Beans Mysteries #2) by Christy Barritt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Bound by Disaster (Beach Bound Books and Beans Mysteries #2) by Christy Barritt. I really enjoyed the first book, so I was excited that this sequel was released so quickly. I was eager to get back to these characters. 

About the Book
Talitha Robinson is knee-deep in renovations as she prepares to open her new bookstore when a body washes ashore on Lantern Beach. While news of the suspicious death surges across the island, a stranger comes knocking on Tali’s door, begging her to endorse his unfinished suspense novel.

Unable to dissuade the author, Tali is left holding his manuscript in her hands. But she has no idea of the peril written on its pages.

Mac MacArthur has kept his distance from Tali since they uncovered a shocking connection about their pasts. But when someone begins to act out the murderous scenes from the book, one victim at a time, Mac’s protective instincts override his decision to stay away.

As danger escalates, Mac and Tali must manage their conflicting feelings as they work together to stop this killer . . . before the last chapter is written.

Bound by Disaster is book 2 in a four-book series of cozy suspense novellas featuring Tali and Mac and set in Lantern Beach. Although the main mystery is resolved in each novel, some threads will continue throughout the entire Beach Bound Books and Beans mystery series.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
"I found the main character unlikable, and if I can't root for the main character, then what's the purpose of reading the rest of the story?"

Friday 56
Tali wished she had something else to keep herself occupied. But she didn't. She had way too many things on her mind - but mostly the new chapter she'd just read about the dead bookstore owner.

What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one before. It looks like a good one. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, that first line is so true!! It's a cute cover. I hope you enjoy it and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I had to laugh at that first line. :D Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun one! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with that first line! And I love the sound of this one, but then bookstores always draw me in. :D Have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't plan to share this book this week, but once I read that first line, I couldn't stop myself. It's such a relatable opening. Hope you have a great weekend too, Lark! :)

      Delete
  5. I don't read cozies a lot but this sounds good. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lauren! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh that's a good line!

    My first line comes from The Governess by Kristie Self:
    "The young girl stood near the front window of her family's home, fear crawling up her spine as she kept a watchful scene unfolding outdoors"

    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2022/09/first-line-friday-governess.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opener. I instantly want to know more! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews.
    "Julia sat immobile on the silk damask-cushioned bench in front of her carved walnut dressing table as her lady's maid, Mary, put the final touches on her evening coiffure."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read more Mimi Matthews books. Thanks for sharing, Nicole! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. Such a cute dog on that cover. It makes me want to read that cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I just want to give that dog a hug, lol! Hope you have a rest of the weekend, Harvee! :)

      Delete
  9. My first line comes from Chapter 1 of A Gem of Truth by KimberleyWoodhouse :
    April 1907 Hotel Casraneda Las Vegas, New Mexico
    Some days were not predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great opener! Thanks for sharing! Have a great rest of the weekend, Paula! :)

      Delete
  10. So cute!! I'm currently reading Dangerous Beauty by Melissa Koslin and the first line is: "She ran." -- Hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dangerous Beauty is on my wishlist. It sounds so good! Hope you're enjoying it! Have a great rest of the weekend! :)

      Delete