Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Review: Off the Chain (Gone to the Dogs #1) by Janice Thompson

About the Book
The Town of Brenham, Texas, Has Gone to the Dogs!

Curl up with your pup and sink into a delightful small-town mystery as riddles and rescues stack up in book one of a new cozy mystery series.

Marigold Evans’ first attempt at rescuing an abandoned pooch lands her in a drainage pipe in Brenham Texas. . .and almost in jail, until Parker Jenson comes to her rescue. Then a bad day only gets worse as the Lone Star Vet Clinic, where they both work, is vandalized and the list of suspects starts to climb. With the help of her fellow employees, Marigold sets out to simultaneously solve the crime, rehab the rescued dog, and help more dogs in crisis. But why would anyone continue to work against all their good efforts?

More in the Gone to the Dogs Series:
Book 1 - Off the Chain by Janice Thompson
Book 2 - Dog Days of Summer by Kathleen Y'Barbo
Book 3 - Barking Up the Wrong Tree by Janice Thompson


MY THOUGHTS

This was a cute and fun cozy mystery full of hilarious moments, endearing characters, adorable doggies, and a good mystery.

I loved the opening of the book. I was literally laughing out loud. Mari and Cassidy were quite the pair! We're first introduced to the friends as they're trying to rescue a dog from a drainage pipe. What followed was an entertaining comedy of errors and misunderstandings. They were both instantly likable. I loved Mari's passion for dog rescue and was really hoping her plans for her own rescue would come together successfully. Parker was a great guy. So helpful and always there when anybody needed anything. And I LOVED Grandma Peach! She was a hoot!

This was a lighter mystery, which I enjoyed. There was no murder to solve, but there was a burglary at the vet clinic that caused quite a bit of damage. There were plenty of suspects, and while I had my suspicions about the guilty party pretty early on, I was never a hundred percent sure.

There were some really sweet moments throughout the book, and I found myself smiling more often than not. This was such a feel-good story and I'm excited that it's the start of a new series. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one!

I received an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FOUR STARS

4 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this one! And lighter mysteries seem perfect for summertime. Plus, that cover is SO cute. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, lighter mysteries are perfect summertime reading! And I love the cover too! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review, Ashley! It sounds like so much fun!! A mystery without murder does sound refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! It's rare to find a mystery that doesn't involve murder, so I really enjoyed that for a change. :)

      Delete