Thursday, July 21, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: High-Wire Heartbreak by Anna Schmidt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring High-Wire Heartbreak by Anna Schmidt. This is a really fantastic dual timeline. The first quote is from the present-day storyline and the second is from the historical timeline.

About the Book
In 1936--A party at the Ringling mansion Ca d’Zan in Sarasota, Florida, leads to a robbery--and possibly death.

A successful historical mystery writer, Chloe Whitfield comes to Ca’ d’Zan to research her next novel. Chloe’s fascination with the circus is rooted in family stories of her great-grandmother Lucinda Conroy, who reportedly was a trapeze artist of some renown. She’s heard hints of scandal—and perhaps larceny, but no details.

Chloe’s grandmother—rumored to be Lucinda’s only offspring—was raised in an orphanage and never knew her mother. Intrigued as she is, Chloe has no intent of writing about Lucinda until she sees a poster featuring Lucinda as the star performer for a 70th birthday gala for John Ringling in May of 1936. From there the trail goes cold.

Who was Lucinda and what happened to her?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Sweat beaded Chloe Whitfield's forehead and soaked her neck. Her loose-fitting shift-style dress was a mass of wrinkles. Who had ever thought linen was a good idea for clothing? She'd chosen her outfit with the thought of wanting to present herself as the professional and successful woman she was.

Friday 56
“Please join us Nardo.” Mr. Jefferson indicated a second chair and then sat between them in the third. “As I was just saying to Miss Conroy, it would appear we are on the horns of a dilemma, my young friends.” He passed the newspaper to Nardo, who glanced at the article, then let the paper fall from his fingers as he sat back in the chair.

What have you been reading lately?

24 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying this series by Barbour Books. Here is my Friday post: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2022/07/book-spotlight-fridays-crossfire.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the second one I've read, but I've loved them both. I'm eager to read more. Have a great weekend, Sarita! :D

      Delete
  2. I have not read many dual timeline stories, but this one seems interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! Hope you have a great weekend, Adri! :)

      Delete
  3. I love a good dual timeline story, and this one has my attention! Off to add it to the TBR.

    Stop by my book beginning here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds good. And the cover is pretty too!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/22/friday-56-daisy-and-the-dazzling-dachshunds-by-janey-clarke/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cover!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one I have wanted to read since it came out!! I can't wait to hear what you think about it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it! Both timelines were great! Hope you have a great weekend too, Cindy! :)

      Delete
  7. Anything with a circus in it always sounds like fun to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love a circus-themed book! Have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  8. My first line this week comes from Critical Alliance by Elizabeth Goddard:
    Her world was spinning out of control. Correction. Not her world but her body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that has me intrigued! Have a lovely weekend, Paula! :)

      Delete
  9. This one was really good. I read it several months ago. Great selection. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deanne! Glad to hear you enjoyed this one too! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  10. I am currently reading The Bachelor and the Bride by Sarah M. Eden. It's really good.
    "In recent years, in the area of London near Belsize Park, a young physician by the name of Sefton Palmer established himself as a reliable man of medicine and an individual of inquisitive disposition."
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I really need to get back to reading Sarah Eden's books. They're so good! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  11. I have this one on my tbr shelf!

    I'm reading A Dream of Family by Jill Weatherholt. The first line is: "Past Due."

    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED it! I hope you do too if you get the chance to read it. Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  12. I have been wanting to read this one, it sounds so good! This week I shared the first line from Heirlooms by Sandra Byrd. http://gracetogrowblog.com/first-line-friday-heirlooms/

    Hope you’ve had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing Heirlooms a lot lately and definitely want to check it out. It sounds so good! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete