Thursday, July 21, 2022

Review: The Buy-In (Graham Brothers #1) by Emma St. Clair

About the Book
"You can't Schitt's Creek a town, Tank."
"And you can't verb a noun, son."


When a family of former pro football players buy a small Texas town, they didn't intend to start a war with its residents ... or to fall in love.

Ever since his career-ending injury, Pat has bounced from job to job, idea to idea, short-lived relationship to short-lived relationship. But when his father purchases the town of Sheet Cake, Pat suddenly sees his life with clear purpose: get his brothers on board with his dad's wild idea and win back the one woman who got away.

Lindy was supposed to be traveling the world, not stuck in a small town, caring for her niece. But she would do anything to keep custody of Jo--even if that looks like a marriage of convenience with the man who already broke her heart once.

Now if she can only keep herself from falling back in love with her husband...

This is a small town, marriage of convenience romantic comedy with plenty of sizzle while keeping the bedroom door closed. It's the first in a spinoff series following Harper's brothers (from Falling for Your Best Friend). You don't need to have read the Love Clichés series first to enjoy this book.

(Available in Kindle Unlimited at time of posting.)

MY THOUGHTS

This was an absolutely delightful romantic comedy. I loved that even though there were a ton of laughs, (seriously, I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions) there was a lot of depth too. There were some tough real-life issues addressed here. It felt like the perfect combination.

Pat and Lindy were easy to like. Right from the beginning, I was rooting for them. And Jo was such a smart and adorable little girl full of surprises. I really enjoyed the Graham family dynamics too, and how close the siblings and their dad were.

I loved the town of Sheet Cake. It definitely needed a lot of work, but it was such a charming place full of a ton of potential. And I really liked all (well, most) of the residents. Winnie, Val, Chevy, Mari, Ashlee, the Bobs... the list could go on and on. I'm so eager to visit the town again and see what everyone's up to now.

This was my first full-length novel by this author and I'm kicking myself for not reading her books sooner. All the praise I've heard is well warranted and I'm eager to read more. This book is definitely making my "Best of" list for this year. Needless to say, I can't recommend it highly enough.

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. The town is called Sheet Cake? That's awesome! And St. Clair's Love Cliches series looks like fun, too. I want to try some of those books as well as this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy this one. It's the perfect book when you're in the mood for a romcom. :D

      Delete