Thursday, July 14, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Buy-In (Graham Brothers #1) by Emma St. Clair

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring The Buy-In (Graham Brothers #1) by Emma St. Clair. I can't even tell you how much I loved this romcom! It's awesome! Thanks Cindy's Book Corner for the recommendation! 

About the Book
When a family of former pro football players buy a small Texas town, they didn't intend to start a war with its residents ... or to fall in love.

Ever since his career-ending injury, Pat has bounced from job to job, idea to idea, short-lived relationship to short-lived relationship. But when his father purchases the town of Sheet Cake, Pat suddenly sees his life with clear purpose: get his brothers on board with his dad's wild idea and win back the one woman who got away.

Lindy was supposed to be traveling the world, not stuck in a small town, caring for her niece. But she would do anything to keep custody of Jo--even if that looks like a marriage of convenience with the man who already broke her heart once.

Now if she can only keep herself from falling back in love with her husband...

This is a small town, marriage of convenience romantic comedy with plenty of sizzle while keeping the bedroom door closed. It's the first in a spinoff series following Harper's brothers (from Falling for Your Best Friend). You don't need to have read the Love Clichés series first to enjoy this book.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
"You bought a what?"

Friday 56
I lean back against the counter, closing my eyes. This is a mistake. Isn’t it? Everything in my life feels so infinitely fragile. I’m like the little pig who’s built a house of toothpicks and tissue paper, and Pat is the big bad wolf, here to blow it down with one breath.

What have you been reading lately?

28 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. Here is my CWW https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2022/07/book-spotlight-fridays-extraordinary.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sarita! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  2. That first line is an attention getting. It sounds a bit like the one I am featuring this week, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw the one you're featuring, and I agree it does sound a bit like mine! LOL! A pajama factory? I'm so intrigued! Have a great weekend, Mark! :)

      Delete
  3. My first line comes from Heirlooms by Sandra Byrd:
    March 1958
    Helen Devries carefully removed her nurse’s cap, fluffing her platinum , back combed bouffant, crackling the Aqua Net laquering it in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Paula! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Oof a marriage of convenience with the one who broke your heart, that is rough! However, I have every confidence it will all end happily ;) I'm glad you loved this one and I hope you have a lovely weekend! Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juli! Things were definitely rough for a little while, but it was a super fun journey full of a ton of laughs. Hope you have a lovely weekend too! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I’m just starting Hope Between the Pages by Pepper Basham, so I’ll share a line from there.
    “For the entire afternoon, I waited for a summons to meet with Mrs. Vanderbilt, but the fateful moment never came.”
    I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, this one is on my list. Hope you're enjoying it! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Just the fact that they buy a town makes me laugh. :D Have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Who buys a whole town, LOL! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/15/friday-56-paris-for-one-by-jojo-moyes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Emily! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. Great excerpts! I want to know what happens! Here's “THE IT GIRL”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Laurel-Rain! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  9. You've got me wanting more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Freda! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fun book! I need to read it. Stop by and see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! One of my favorites this year! Have a great weekend, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Mine too! Really? A town? I was so intrigued. Have a lovely weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  12. Aw I love the idea behind these memes. Out of context, lines from the beginnings and middles of stories can be so much fun (and display some awesome writing)! thank you for sharing :)
    claire @clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Claire! It's so much fun checking out all the books and quotes others share. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  13. That sounds like a fun read!

    My first line is from A Need to Protect by Susanne Dietze: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/07/15/a-need-to-protect/

    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle! I loved it! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  14. Aw, thanks for the shout-out! I am so glad you loved it too!! Have you read The Bluff yet??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, but it's high on my list. I'm so eager to get back to Sheet Cake! :D

      Delete