Thursday, August 5, 2021

Review: Over the Woodward Wall (The Up-and-Under #1) by A. Deborah Baker

About the Book
If you trust her you’ll never get home…

Avery is an exceptional child. Everything he does is precise, from the way he washes his face in the morning, to the way he completes his homework – without complaint, without fuss, without prompt.

Zib is also an exceptional child, because all children are, in their own way. But where everything Avery does and is can be measured, nothing Zib does can possibly be predicted, except for the fact that she can always be relied upon to be unpredictable.

They live on the same street.
They live in different worlds.

On an unplanned detour from home to school one morning, Avery and Zib find themselves climbing over a low stone wall into the Up and Under – an impossible land filled with mystery, adventure and the strangest creatures. And they must find themselves and each other if they are to also find their way out and back to their own lives.


MY THOUGHTS

Over the Woodward Wall was an entertaining novella from Seanan McGuire writing under the new pen name A. Deborah Baker. It's connected to her book Middlegame, but stands alone just fine.

It might've just been my mood at the time, but I didn't feel any urgency to get back to it when I had to set it down. It should've taken me one day, two at the most, to finish, but it ended up being four days until I reached the end. Which is so weird for me with a McGuire book. I usually gobble them up as fast as I can. But not this one. And I really can't pinpoint why that was the case. It sounded exactly like something I'd love. It had a fairy tale vibe to it, very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland and the Wizard of Oz. It was whimsical. The writing was great and what I've come to expect from McGuire. It just didn't resonate with me and I'm kinda sad about that. But I guess that happens sometimes. We can't love every book.

I wouldn't say this is one of McGuire's best, or one of my favorites from her, but it was still an entertaining read, nonetheless. And I am curious enough about what will happen next that I'll probably pick up the sequel.

THREE STARS

6 comments:

  1. How many pen names does Seanan McGuire write under? So crazy. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know anymore, lol! I can't keep track. :D

      Delete
  2. It is always a bit of a let-down when a favorite author doesn't quite click with a new book. But I've noticed that lately, I have had trouble with "falling into a book." Mood does influence the way we engage with a story. Luckily, I've got several that I hope will be more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a couple of months like that earlier this year. It was so frustrating. And just when I'd think I was coming out of that funk, I'd be right back in it. Hopefully, you'll be able to "fall into a book" again soon. :)

      Delete