Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Release Day Review: Secrets in the Mist (Skyworld #1) by Morgan L. Busse

About the Book
What’s lurking in the Mist is the least of their worries…

In a world where humanity lives in the sky to escape a deadly mist below, Cass’s only goal is survival. That is, until she finds a job on the airship Daedalus as a diver. Now she explores ruined cities, looking for treasure and people’s lost heirlooms until a young man hires her to find the impossible: a way to eradicate the Mist.

Theodore Winchester is a member of one of the Five Families that rule the skies. Following in his father’s footsteps, he searches for the source of the Mist and hopes to stop the purges used to control overpopulation. But what he finds are horrifying secrets and lethal ambition. If he continues his quest, it could mean his own death.

The Mist is rising and soon the world will be enveloped in its deadly embrace, turning what's left of humanity into the undead.


MY THOUGHTS

This book was awesome! Steampunk is one of my favorite genres, so when I found out that Morgan L. Busse was releasing a new steampunk duology, I was ecstatic. Her Soul Chronicles series is a favorite of mine. And Secrets in the Mist did not disappoint. It blew my already high expectations out of the water. I was fully invested and completely immersed in the story from the very first sentence till the very last word.

The world-building was fantastic. Everything really came to life. The descriptions were great, and I felt like I could picture everything with crystal clear perfection. The real world faded away and I was right there in the thick of things with Cass and Theo. It was so eerie when they ventured into the Mist. And I'm not even gonna lie, it got a bit scary when the zombie-like creatures, the Turned, showed up. They were so creepy.

This was steampunk at its finest. Exactly the kind of book that I'm always looking for, but can hardly ever find. I loved everything about it.... well, except that it ended. And on a cliffhanger, no less! Oh my goodness, I need the next book ASAP! This will be a definite reread for me. I loved it so much and highly recommend it!

I received an early copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

4 comments:

  1. I love a good steampunk read, too. And my library has a copy of this one on order! I'm so excited. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad your library is gonna have it. I hope you love it if you get the chance to read it. :D

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful cover! I'll be keeping this one in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover! And it fits so perfectly with the story. :D

      Delete