Thursday, July 8, 2021

Review: Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

About the Book
Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission—and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn’t know that. He can’t even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

All he knows is that he’s been asleep for a very, very long time. And he’s just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company.

His crewmates dead, his memories fuzzily returning, Ryland realizes that an impossible task now confronts him. Hurtling through space on this tiny ship, it’s up to him to puzzle out an impossible scientific mystery—and conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.

And with the clock ticking down and the nearest human being light-years away, he’s got to do it all alone.

Or does he?

An irresistible interstellar adventure as only Andy Weir could deliver, Project Hail Mary is a tale of discovery, speculation, and survival to rival The Martian—while taking us to places it never dreamed of going.


MY THOUGHTS

I was first introduced to this book by jenclair at A Garden Carried in the Pocket. It sounded so interesting and like something I might like, so I kept an eye out at my library for it. I was so excited when they finally got a copy of it on Overdrive. I was lucky enough to catch it right after they added it, so I snatched it right up and dove into it as fast as I could. It exceeded all my expectations.

I was intrigued right from the start. I was so curious about who Ryland was, what he was doing, what was going on, how he came to be in the situation he was in, and wondering if he could fix everything that needed to be fixed. I was so invested. I couldn't get enough of it. It held my full interest to the very last page.

Ryland was an entertaining narrator. There was a lot of technical science stuff that went way over my head and I was afraid I'd get frustrated by all of it. But Ryland had a way of making it all very interesting, and humorous, at times. And, I don't want to say too much because I don't know if this could be a spoiler or not, but there's a character here who has got to be one of my favorites of all time. They're so endearing, so likable, so fascinating. Just the absolute best!

I hadn't read anything like this book in a long time, so it was a welcome change and helped me get out of a bit of a reading slump. If you're a fan of sci-fi, this book is a definite must read. I highly recommend it!

FOUR STARS

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I tried his previous books, but wasn't hooked, then this one kept me glued to the pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would've passed the book by if I hadn't read your review. You had me so intrigued by it. And it was so good! I'm still thinking about it... and Rocky. :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this one yet but it's sitting in my room waiting for me. I plan on reading it next week. And to hear that you loved it so much makes me even more excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it, too! I had such a hard time putting it down and am still thinking about it. :D

      Delete