Thursday, July 1, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. This was really good. It exceeded all my expectations.

About the Book
Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission—and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn’t know that. He can’t even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

All he knows is that he’s been asleep for a very, very long time. And he’s just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company.

His crewmates dead, his memories fuzzily returning, Ryland realizes that an impossible task now confronts him. Hurtling through space on this tiny ship, it’s up to him to puzzle out an impossible scientific mystery—and conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.

And with the clock ticking down and the nearest human being light-years away, he’s got to do it all alone.

Or does he?

An irresistible interstellar adventure as only Andy Weir could deliver, Project Hail Mary is a tale of discovery, speculation, and survival to rival The Martian—while taking us to places it never dreamed of going.

Book Beginnings
"What's two plus two?"

Friday 56
The light on the Centrifuge screen blinks green.
"Gravity at full," I say with a smile.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. This book is on my TBR and I think I will do it as an audiobook so my hubby can listen as I do. My Friday quotes are here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I hope you love it! Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read any Andy Weird which is off considering my family full of astro-physicists and my own love for Sci-Fi! Thanks for the reminder to get on it! I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you have a lovely weekend!
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time reading anything from him. I'm excited to check out some of his other stuff. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this one and I'm glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that you loved it too! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  4. I have been eyeing this book. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SURVIVE THE NIGHT”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this one! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. Thanks for for visiting! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. It is time to pick this one up! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so good! Thanks for coming by! Hope you have a great rest of the weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I loved Rocky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky has got to be one of my favorite characters of all-time. Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  8. I just barely checked this one out of the library and I'm very excited to read it. I loved Weir's The Martian. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it! I really want to read The Martian now. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  9. I have been curious about this one and am glad you enjoyed it, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was even better than I thought it'd be. Love when that happens! :)

      Delete