Monday, June 7, 2021

Review: On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor by Jaime Jo Wright

About the Book
1885.
Adria Fontaine has been sent to recover goods her father pirated on the Great Lakes during the war. But when she arrives at Foxglove Manor--a stone house on a cliff overlooking Lake Superior--Adria senses wickedness hovering over the property. The mistress of Foxglove is an eccentric and seemingly cruel old woman who has filled her house with dangerous secrets, ones that may cost Adria her life.

Present day.
Kailey Gibson is a new nurse's aide at a senior home in a renovated old stone manor. Kidnapped as a child, she has nothing but locked-up memories of secrets and death, overshadowed by the chilling promise from her abductors that they would return. When the residents of Foxglove start sharing stories of whispers in the night, hidden treasure, and a love willing to kill, it becomes clear this home is far from a haven. She'll have to risk it all to banish the past's demons, including her own.


MY THOUGHTS

On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor was another winner from Jaime Jo Wright. It's right up there with Echoes Among the Stones as my favorite of hers.

I was immediately pulled into this gothic tale and held captive till the very last word. It's so creepy good with just the right amount of chills. There were definitely some goosebump-inducing moments that had me happy I wasn't reading it in the dark. But there was also a strong faith element which I really loved.

The mystery spanning both timelines was excellent. I had just finished another book about the conspiracy of the missing gold and so it was fun trying to “crack the code” alongside these characters.

Both timelines were utterly compelling, but if I had to pick a favorite, the present would edge out the past just a tiny bit. I loved seeing Kailey's relationship with her autistic brother, Jude. It was really sweet. And I really loved seeing a person with autism represented so well here.

I took my time reading this book. I wanted to linger in it for as long as possible, but once I hit the 80% mark, I couldn't put it down. I had to finish it right then. Supper was a little late, but I have no regrets. This was a fantastic dual timeline that I highly recommend.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

QUOTES:
“Whether or not ghosts exist, or spirits, or demons, or however you want to label it, I believe God is the one I'm going to spend my time focusing on. The others steal the attention otherwise, and really, He usurps them all. I mean, I'd pit God against a ghost any day.”

“We complicate our purpose in life too much. We try to define it, then build on it, until our ideals become man-made instead of God-directed.”

FIVE STARS

8 comments:

  1. Nice review, looking forward to this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you love it, Sarita! It's so good! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I have this one from NetGalley, but haven't started it yet. I'm a sucker for a good Gothic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! I can't get enough of them! I hope you love this one, jenclair! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks like a great book.i enjoy a book you can take your time and enjoy . A well crafted book is a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I love books that I can become totally immersed in and this one did just that. :)

      Delete
  4. Love those quotes! I'm not always a fan of dual timelines, but when they work well it makes for good reading. And I always like that Gothic feel in a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems like dual timelines are hit-or-miss for me. I either love them or struggle to get through them. Thankfully, Jaime Jo Wright's have always been a huge hit. :D

      Delete