Monday, June 28, 2021

Double Review: A couple of gaslamp mysteries

Manners and Monsters by Tilly Wallace
Hannah pushed into the room she loved the most. Could there be anything more marvellous in the world than a library? Other women might prefer a ballroom, or a millinery shop, but Hannah swooned over books.
Hannah is not the typical lady of society. Though once accepted by the elites, she is now ostracized. She assists her father, the so-called "mad scientist", in his research of Unnatural Creatures and their diseases. A most improper role for a young lady. And the fact that her mother was one of the first Afflicted doesn't really help her case much either.

But she doesn't let that get her down. She's quite content with her life. She knows she's loved by those who really matter. And while she wouldn't mind a few more friends, and though she secretly longs for a true romance, she's perfectly fine with how things are. Honestly.

While attending her best friend's engagement party, a footman is murdered. His brain is missing, so the obvious suspect is one of the Afflicted women who attended the party. Because of her expertise in the Afflicted, Hannah reluctantly partners with the rude Lord Wycliff to catch the murderer.

I LOVED this story! It was so much fun! Hannah was an exceptionally likable character, and Lord Wycliff had a Mr. Darcy-like charm that I just couldn’t resist. I did guess the murderer fairly early on, but that didn't hinder my enjoyment at all. In fact, I didn't want the story to end. I’m so glad there are many more stories in this series for me to enjoy. I can’t wait to see what these characters are up to next.

4.5 STARS


The Werewolf of Whitechapel by Suzannah Rowntree

Liz has no memory of her life before the werewolf attack that scarred her and sent her to St. Botolph's. She's vowed to find the truth of her attack and make the monster pay for what he did to her. And her new position as lady's maid and bodyguard to a minor royal is the perfect opportunity to find answers. Because of her new position, she'll be in regular contact with the monsters (werewolves, vampires, sirens) since they populate the Continental Royal ranks.

Fresh into her new job though, Liz finds out her best friend from St. Botolph's has been murdered, and now she has a new mission. Find the murderer and make them pay.

I fully expected to love this one, but I couldn't get into it. It might've just been my mood, though. I had just finished a heavy and emotional read right before this one and was ready for a light and fun diversion, which this one was described as. And while there were moments of lightness and laughs here, it was also darker and much more... political... I guess you could say, then I anticipated. And while that's not a bad thing, it just was not what I was in the mood to read.

I was halfway through with it and moderately intrigued by the mysteries, so I thought I'd set it aside for a little while and come back to it. I picked it back up about three weeks later and still couldn't get into it. I still had the same issues with it. The things that irritated me before irritated me even worse. I was just as frustrated with certain things. And Liz was even more unlikable than I remembered. I hate not finishing a book, and I hate writing a bad review even more, but I'm sad to say I abandoned this book around 60%. It had a lot of promise, it just wasn't for me at this time.

DNF


6 comments:

  1. These look like fun books. Sometimes you just need something different too read. Have a great week and stay cool this Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Reading something different helps get me out of the occasional reading slump. Hope you have a great week, too! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm really interested in Manners & Monsters! I abandoned The Werewolf of White Chapel, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone with The Werewolf of Whitechapel. I had such high hopes for it and had read so many glowing reviews that I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Manners and Monsters sounds like so much fun! I'll have to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! I'm still thinking about it. :D

      Delete