Thursday, June 24, 2021

Review: The City of Zirdai (Archives of the Invisible Sword #2) by Maria V. Snyder

About the Book
Through her courage and tenacity, Shyla Sun-Kissed has awoken the power of The Eyes of Tamburah. But this feat only marks the beginning of the challenges that the magical order, the Invisible Sword, faces to free the underground city of Zirdai.

Though they have allies among the monks and splinter cells inside the city, Shyla knows the Invisible Sword doesn't have the strength to win. With the group fracturing due to the strain of losses from their latest ordeal, thinly veiled suspicions and endless disagreements, it's up to Shyla to forge a new united order.

When both the draconian Water Prince and brutal Heliacal Priestess learn of Shyla's new powers, life becomes even more complicated as they will stop at nothing to capture Shyla and take the magic of The Eyes for themselves. Hunted at every turn and unable to hide, Shyla and the Invisible Sword must use every resource at their command - and unearth new ones - in their race to save the city from destruction. But their enemies always seem to be one step ahead. And the cost to win the battle may be more than Shyla would ever be willing to pay...


MY THOUGHTS

This picks up pretty much right where the last one left off. It took me just a bit to get back into it and get my bearings, but once I did, I was right back in the thick of things.

The world-building was fantastic. Everything really came to life and I could picture things perfectly. It was so realistically described that I could almost feel the heat and the sand on my skin.

It was slower-paced than I expected. Not that that's a bad thing. But it was surprising because the characters seemed to face crisis after crisis. I just didn't feel that sense of urgency I'd expect from those kinds of situations. They'd solve one problem and then another one would immediately pop up, and while I should have been racing through the pages, I was just slowly making my way through it. It wasn't bad, though, just not what I expected.

While this wasn't one of my favorite Maria V. Snyder books, it was still an enjoyable and interesting read. I am looking forward to the conclusion of the series.

THREE STARS

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the middle books in a trilogy aren't as good as the first and third; I don't know why. But it does seem to happen a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that, too. It's weird that that happens so often, but it does. I'm hopeful book three will be better. :)

      Delete