Thursday, March 11, 2021

Review: The Prince of Spies (Hope and Glory #3) by Elizabeth Camden

About the Book
Luke Delacroix has the reputation of a charming man-about-town in Gilded Age Washington, DC. In reality, he is secretly carrying out an ambitious agenda in Congress. His current mission is to thwart the reelection of Congressman Clyde Magruder, his only real enemy in the world.

But trouble begins when Luke meets Marianne Magruder, the congressman's only daughter, whose job as a government photographer gives her unprecedented access to sites throughout the city. Luke is captivated by Marianne's quick wit and alluring charm, leading them both into a dangerous gamble to reconcile their feelings for each other with Luke's driving passion for vital reforms in Congress.

Can their newfound love survive a political firestorm, or will three generations of family rivalry drive them apart forever?


My Thoughts

What a great ending to this awesome series! The Prince of Spies was another fantastic historical romance from Elizabeth Camden.

One of the things I love most about Camden's books is the fact that they're filled with little known historical facts. And I love that it's always presented in a way that makes me want to learn more about the subject. It always takes me longer to read one of her books because I'm constantly looking up information about the subject and trying to learn as much as I can about it. I love it when a book can make history fun.

Similar to book one, The Prince of Spies takes a look at the food industry in the early 1900s. This time around we're introduced to the Poison Squad. I had no knowledge of the Squad beforehand so learning about them was extremely interesting. A group of brave young men put their lives on the line as human test subjects to ensure food safety. They were fed countless amounts of harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde, borax, benzoate, salicylic acid, etc. These chemicals were routinely used in food production and the Poison Squad was testing to see if they were safe to eat and what the side effects might be. They were crusaders in the fight for food safety and I'm forever grateful for what they did.

There's a bit of a Romeo and Juliet feel to this book. The Delacroix and Magruder families had been feuding for decades. To say there was bad blood between them is an understatement. So even though there was an attraction between Luke and Marianne, a relationship between the two seemed like it was destined for failure.

I've loved Luke since book one and I was so excited to get his story. He's a wild and restless soul but the very best guy out there. He's just an all-around good, upstanding, God-fearing man fighting for what's right.

Marianne... Oh where do I begin? I struggled with a lot of her decisions. I could understand where she was coming from but there were times I wanted to shake some sense into her and tell her to open her eyes and see the truth about her family. The Magruders absolutely infuriated me. They were downright despicable at times and I wanted her as far away from them as possible.

I've greatly enjoyed my time with the Delacroix family and am sad to say goodbye to them. If you're a fan of historical fiction, this series is a must read. These books are top-notch, impeccably researched romances. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Four Stars

2 comments:

  1. The whole premise of this one sounds interesting! I've never heard of the Poison Squad.

    ReplyDelete