Thursday, March 18, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Solstice Countdown (SPI Files #7) by Lisa Shearin

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring The Solstice Countdown (SPI Files #7) by Lisa Shearin. This is one of the most fun urban fantasy series I've ever read, so I was ecstatic to get my hands on this newest installment.

About the Book
As an agent of Supernatural Protection & Investigations (SPI), I know that evil doesn’t take a vacation, but this time it made an exception and followed me on mine.

I’m Makenna Fraser, seer for SPI, and I’m taking my boyfriend, goblin dark mage Rake Danescu, home for the holidays to meet my family.

Weird Sisters is a small town in the North Carolina mountains that was built on a network of ley lines that magnify psychic and paranormal energies. It doesn’t show up on Google Maps, was named after the three witches in Macbeth, and the first word of the town name perfectly describes most of its human and supernatural citizens.

A stranger has come to town, bringing with him a dormant source of primordial evil. Soon, magically gifted locals start vanishing, and the power of the ley lines is turned against us, cutting us off from the outside world and any source of help.

For a town and its people steeped in magic, and my family sworn to protect both, it’s a race against time to use a local winter solstice phenomenon to free the town from its prison. But first, I must trust a father I’ve never known to fight and defeat an awakening evil that’s existed since the beginning of time. If we fail, and it is unleashed, the world will not survive.

Book Beginnings
For a welcome change, I was doing what normal people did for the holidays.
I was going home to visit my family for Christmas and bringing my boyfriend to meet them.
That was where 'normal' screeched to a crashing halt.

Friday 56
Agnes Millicent Fraser, matriarch of both the Fraser family and the town of Weird Sisters, had decided what she was going to do, and no one with a lick of sense was about to change her mind.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I did too. I was thinking, "Ooh, this gonna be good!" LOL! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. I like the quotes. The Solstice Countdown seems like something I might like, so I'm going to look into the series. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great series. I hope you enjoy it if you do read it. Thanks for visting! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the snippets and the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “ARE WE THERE YET?”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I hadn't heard of this series and I love the drama of the cover. Also, a town called Weird Sisters? Count me in! I hope you have a lovely week and do drop by my Friday post if you have the time! - Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's such a cool name for a town. You just expect crazy stuff to happen there, lol. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. I'll have to check this series out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That beginning is great! Totally makes me want to keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really made me wonder what kind of craziness they were gonna encounter this time, lol. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds very good! I hope it lives up to your expectations! Happy memeversary weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! Thanks for visiting! Happy memeversary, Freda! :)

      Delete
  8. I think I'm going to have to start in on this series asap. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete