Monday, March 29, 2021

Review: Lethal Outbreak by Lisa Harris & Lynne Gentry and Collision Course by Elizabeth Goddard

With so many good books on my TBR list and it seeming to grow daily, I've been trying to find the time to squeeze in some more reading time and have finally found an extra thirty-ish minutes a day right before bedtime. During this time, I've been reading a lot of short stories, novellas, and trying to make a dent in the copious amounts of boxsets I have. Depending on my mood, I've been going back and forth between romantic suspense, rom-coms, and speculative fiction. 

I've read two of the stories in the Dangerous Deceptions boxset and thought I'd share my review for them today. This boxset has been disbanded, but Lethal Outbreak is available to purchase by itself and I'm sure Collision Course will be soon, as well.

Lethal Outbreak by Lisa Harris and Lynne Gentry

A prehistoric virus has just been discovered in Tibet and has already infected a village. It's highly contagious and spreading fast. Virus hunter Aiden Ballinger has taken a sample of the virus to DC to study it but someone with a sinister agenda wants it for a bioweapon and is doing everything in their power to steal it, even going so far as killing for it. Can Aiden and epidemiologist Rachel Allen stop them before this becomes a worldwide pandemic?

This was an incredibly thrilling read that filled me with so much anxiety and had me feverishly clicking through the pages. The characters were dealing with an extremely time-sensitive issue, so the intensity was high and the danger just kept escalating. The romance felt a little rushed to me but other than that, I greatly enjoyed this exciting suspense.

4 stars


Collision Course by Elizabeth Goddard

FBI Agent Reg was on a high-profile case when he was in a motorcycle accident that wiped out part of his memory. Sidelined from his job with a TBI, he's back home with his grandmother for the time being. PI Nicole is working on an art theft case and eager to get it done so she can work the new lead she has on her dad's murder. Reg and Nicole cross paths when they're targeted by a gunman. They both have enemies who want them dead, but which one of them is the bad guy after?

From the very first chapter, this story puts you right in the middle of the action. A lot was going on, which made for an exciting, yet chaotic read. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance either, but it was a compelling read, nonetheless. I was eager to find out who the actual target was and why.

3 stars

6 comments:

  1. I have the same boxset to still read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I've liked it so far, and am looking forward to reading the rest. :)

      Delete
  2. Both of these sound interesting, and honestly, I can see the anxiety from the first one. We are too close to the pandemic not to be frightened by the possibility of another virus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's so scary to think about going through this all over again.

      Delete
  3. I used to love virus/pandemic stories...before having to live through an actual pandemic. Still, Lethal Outbreak sound like a good read. Maybe this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those kinds of books were always my favorites. Now...not so much. What used to seem unrealistic yet exciting is now all too real and scary. I did enjoy Lethal Outbreak, although, I probably wouldn't have read it had it not been for the authors. I really enjoyed the previous book in the series.

      Delete